Snipers (possible base troop)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Snipers (possible base troop)

In WW2, Germany pushed their way into Stalingrad, and where met with a harsh defense by the soviets. One of the key components to the red armies victory was the use of snipers inside of Stalingrad. Because of the rubble and urban environment, snipers made for a deadly defensive unit that held the Germans back and destroyed their hopes of taking Stalingrad. While Snipers proved (and continue to prove) that they are rarely ever in a position to carry out an offensive, they are used for defensive holds. CON should have a troop similar to this idea, and it would fit pretty snuggly into the games system.

The new sniper unit would be primarily used for defense, being able to do a lot of damage to troops, and mediocre damage to tanks. Snipers would be able to deal 5 damage for the first stage on the tech tree, but when reaching level two, they would deal similar damage to special forces (IE, 8 to infantry and 4 to tanks). To make them more approachable, they would be lower in the recourse cost to make them. But a good unit isn't a "good" unit without drawbacks, which the sniper unit has plenty of. For example, the speed of snipers should be relatively slow, and they should not able to capture any territory. They shouldn't be able to many snipers in a group as well, which makes intuitive sense and helps balance them. If you have 50 something snipers in a city, at some point, the effectiveness of the sniper's decreases. There should only be the ability to stack 3-4 snipers in a single group before stack debuffs are activated.

The sniper unit would have some pretty obvious counters, such as jets, choppers, etc. which make them a whole lot less powerful, and pretty situational. The thinking behind this is that an army with an impressive ground game, with a plethora of motorized infantry and tanks, would be susceptible to a good defense. It would also make attacking others at the start of the game a little riskier and could pose serious consequences for not making smart decisions. But as the war drags on, the snipers become increasingly worse as better technology is developed to counter them.

On a separate note, I have an idea for a new ability called "Urban Warfare," where the Snipers function normally in cities but gain debuffs when outside of them unless they are in jungle areas or other areas providing cover. If you are fighting in open plains and are using a sniper, it's easier to hit you. But if you're in a city it's a lot more difficult to hit you.

Sometimes, we are not in a position to attack but instead in a position to be attacked. Giving players the tools to effectively defend against ground-based warfare would add to the uncertainty of war, and make planning more vital to the success of any nation. However, the use of snipers is not guaranteed because of the many counters it has, which means even the defending nation is taking a gamble when spending recourses to construct them.

What are your thoughts?
    • StopThereCowboy wrote:

The new sniper unit would be primarily used for defense, being able to do a lot of damage to troops, and mediocre damage to tanks. Snipers would be able to deal 5 damage for the first stage on the tech tree, but when reaching level two, they would deal similar damage to special forces (IE, 8 to infantry and 4 to tanks). To make them more approachable, they would be lower in the recourse cost to make them. But a good unit isn't a "good" unit without drawbacks, which the sniper unit has plenty of. For example, the speed of snipers should be relatively slow, and they should not able to capture any territory. They shouldn't be able to many snipers in a group as well, which makes intuitive sense and helps balance them. If you have 50 something snipers in a city, at some point, the effectiveness of the sniper's decreases. There should only be the ability to stack 3-4 snipers in a single group before stack debuffs are activated.
      Frankly that just sounds like motorized Inf (infantry, decent vs other inf/armor, defensive focus, prefers urban) ; extra implementing stacking penalty for specific unit types cuz of a single unit seems kinda over the top

StopThereCowboy wrote:

The sniper unit would have some pretty obvious counters, such as jets, choppers, etc. which make them a whole lot less powerful, and pretty situational. The thinking behind this is that an army with an impressive ground game, with a plethora of motorized infantry and tanks, would be susceptible to a good defense. It would also make attacking others at the start of the game a little riskier and could pose serious consequences for not making smart decisions. But as the war drags on, the snipers become increasingly worse as better technology is developed to counter them.
      Doesn't really seem like it adds anything other than flavor to the suggestion? Cuz there is already a plethora of ways to defend against ground units; especially early on

StopThereCowboy wrote:

On a separate note, I have an idea for a new ability called "Urban Warfare," where the Snipers function normally in cities but gain debuffs when outside of them unless they are in jungle areas or other areas providing cover. If you are fighting in open plains and are using a sniper, it's easier to hit you. But if you're in a city it's a lot more difficult to hit you.
      That...just sounds like terrain modifiers but with extra steps? Not really sure what's the point of giving out new abilities to favor fighting in certain terrains rather than giving straight up modifiers for it?

StopThereCowboy wrote:

Sometimes, we are not in a position to attack but instead in a position to be attacked. Giving players the tools to effectively defend against ground-based warfare would add to the uncertainty of war, and make planning more vital to the success of any nation. However, the use of snipers is not guaranteed because of the many counters it has, which means even the defending nation is taking a gamble when spending recourses to construct them.
      See above

In general:
      - a bit too much flavor text? idk i just like being able to discern details at first glance
      - while the idea of having a sniper unit is nice in theory; in reality it kinda fails to fill any role that is not already filled with other units + doesnt really add anything new to the game that makes it worth overlooking that fact
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • A sniper unit is a decent idea. However, I would think of it more as a mix between towed artillery and special forces. The sniper would have the range and damage capabilities of a towed (however, the range probably doesn’t surpass 50) but also have the stealth capabilities of special forces. I think this unit could be deadly (stealth artillery would be a tough unit) so it would have to be season unit with build restrictions.
    • Nrb1000 wrote:

A sniper unit is a decent idea. However, I would think of it more as a mix between towed artillery and special forces. The sniper would have the range and damage capabilities of a towed (however, the range probably doesn’t surpass 50) but also have the stealth capabilities of special forces. I think this unit could be deadly (stealth artillery would be a tough unit) so it would have to be season unit with build restrictions.
      stealth artillery ? lmao
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • I think StopThereCowboy has a pretty good idea here. Personally, I think that snipers should be like an upgraded NG unit: A decent defense unit that can be used to quickly defend cities when you can't get your troops there fast enough. I would say that they should have the 20 range of the motorized infantry mortar and be stealth as well with serious debuffs outside of cities or suburbs

Honestly, thats just my 2 cents so take it however you want
    • Teburu wrote:

StopThereCowboy wrote:

Frankly that just sounds like motorized Inf (infantry, decent vs other inf/armor, defensive focus, prefers urban) ; extra implementing stacking penalty for specific unit types cuz of a single unit seems kinda over the top

StopThereCowboy wrote:

Doesn't really seem like it adds anything other than flavor to the suggestion? Cuz there is already a plethora of ways to defend against ground units; especially early on

StopThereCowboy wrote:

That...just sounds like terrain modifiers but with extra steps? Not really sure what's the point of giving out new abilities to favor fighting in certain terrains rather than giving straight up modifiers for it?

StopThereCowboy wrote:

See above

In general:
      - a bit too much flavor text? idk i just like being able to discern details at first glance
      - while the idea of having a sniper unit is nice in theory; in reality it kinda fails to fill any role that is not already filled with other units + doesnt really add anything new to the game that makes it worth overlooking that fact
      Well, the point is that snipers are strong against infantry. So it's a counter. The terrain modifier I agree with, though. Everything else I stand by.
    • Well i like Snipers, but for my understanding the Scale didn´t fit here.

An Infantry unit in CON is a military formation in division or Battalion Size. In my understanding, an Infantrydivision will have some snipers aboard already ant they are included in the stats
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Dorado Games
      DE - Team Lead
      Conflict of Nations

"That was not me, it was already broken!"
    • Wait! wait! wait... :S :S :S

uuuuuuh....... it's too early, month of reserch goingto... it's falling of part...

My first 'SNIPER UNIT' discussion post has established last year august, and i founded who are Sniper Unit are since this year january, Sniper Unit are Advanced Special Forces (Tier 2), i didn't maked to send suggest post early, because i have unfinished explosive charge discussing post.

----------------------------------------

It's delay, because explosive charges...

my project has in a toilet.

A: i am slow.

B: my timing is worst.

alike this

TOTAL FAILURE

---------------------------------

|| || ||
      Guns are always loaded.

The post was edited 1 time, last by GunlessLands ().