Suggestion: Warhead overhaul

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Suggestion: Warhead overhaul

I am relatively still new to this game and there is something bothering me about warheads and missiles. Here are the stats for cruise missiles currently: Lvl 1 cruise missiles use 1 warhead and deal 30 dmg to armor. At lvl 4, they use 2 warheads and deal 55 dmg to armor. By lvl 6 they use 2 warheads and deal 70 dmg to armor. By upgrading my missiles, dmg per warhead goes from 30 to 27.5, then up to 35. Why? The damage increase is not at all worth the research put in. The only benefits are the added speed and health of the missiles. I propose these changes:
      -Damage based on warhead, not launch platform, and each warhead type has its own research line
      -To increase the damage of your missiles, research more advanced warheads
      -Each type of missile has a fixed warhead count (1 for CM, 3 for BM and 6 for ICBM)
      -Research of the missiles themselves focus on increasing their performance

This way, if you want to do more damage, your make better warheads, and if you want better missiles, you can develop them. Sure, you can shove a maxed nuke warhead in a low tech CM, but you won’t be able to do much with if your CM can’t reach very far!

Granted, I don’t know how well this would work. Something still needs to be done about the whole “You get less dmg per warhead” issue though
      Yee Haw
    • It was how they worked in the past.

Currently, the loss in efficiency in damage output is explained by the sharp increase in HP.

T1 : missile are vulnerable and efficient
      T2 : missiles become expensive but go through more anti-air

And it's actually the thing to consider when upgrading Cms to T2.

When your missiles don't go through, making your damage output effective equal to 0 (and not 30), you put them T2, and suddenly, you get a damage output :D
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • This is true. I wish at the very least we would be able to choose between one or two warheads for CM incase we need to get rid of a straggler APC quickly without wasting dmg. If they did add individual warheads it would also open up the possibility of units using them without missiles (example: Heavy bombers dropping nuclear bombs and max towed artillery firing a nuclear shell
      Yee Haw
    • Agreed, having to use a 2 warhead CM all the time once you research them, is like having to use a Stealth Bomber when only an A-10 Warthog is required.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Teburu wrote:

yes missile scaling is fucking wild lmao
      Agreed. It was probably a little tough knowing how to balance them at game launch, and then the current system stuck because of its ease of access. After all, new players all look at the missiles and see how "easy it is" to get one. Good players do the same thing and do not question it most of the time. It is a little more difficult to look at a missile section filled with different kinds of launchers and warheads and deciding what to go with because of the diversity. So the system mentioned above will become less intuitive.

That being said, I do think there should be a change. I do not even bother with missiles most of the time, and instead, try and focus my recourses on "capping territory" because of the range and diversity I have when deciding how I want to capture territory. Missiles only have one goal, and usually one way of reaching that goal. That being "get better missiles." If some launchers launched further but had less damage, and some launched lesser and did more damage, and everything in between, it would add more strategy to missile making. It becomes less about "Better missiles go boom," and instead becomes "how do I construct a missile based on my geography? What are my goals? Is it worth going through the tech tree to get these missiles?" But again, as I said, this system becomes less intuitive, and only benefits players who know what they are doing.
    • I am by no means an expert at the game, but I have just recently "used every single unit ingame other than seasons".
      While there are certainly places for improvement, it is implied that when you research higher CM levels, you are "modernizing" your existing missile stock. This means, more HP, faster speed, more damage, and more warheads. In real life, the main problem for the US, Russia, Europe, China, and even smaller countries like Iraq was ensuring missile delivery, not the quantity of warheads. For instance, in the gulf war, Iraq had hundreds of Scuds, but most were destroyed either by Coalition Special forces or missed their target. Modern day China has thousands and thousands of conventional warheads, but lack the ability to decimate modern fleets consistently.

The other thing is the difference between games between "experienced" players, as well as the "publics".
      In theory(the goals for the devs), level 1 CMs would become COMPLETELY useless by day 25, because a single SAM can shoot it down.
      Therefore, the "launch soviet era missiles during ww3" idea was not implemented.
      Unfortunately, the chances of a player who knows how to use anti airs are low enough that in a normal public game, I seldom research my CMs beyond level 4, or at most, level 5. In my whole time playing, I have never once used a maxed out CM. This is because, people tend to place one frig, for instance, in a naval stack, and then think that they are safe. All I need to do is send an ASW chopper to confuse the frigate*, and then fire 5-10 CMs from point blank/close range. The entire fleet is sunk.

To answer the rest of your questions about ICBMs and BMs, well, I kind of answered them already.
      As your army "modernizes", in theory, your lower grade missiles will not deal enough damage to buildings, because of bunkers(that protect all buildings from damage), as well as TDS. I have never seen anyone other than a golder build bunkers. As for TDS, people tend to not know how to use them correctly for max potential.
      "Le patriotisme, c'est aimer son pays. Le nationalisme, c'est détester celui des autres."-Charles De Gaulle, Leader of Free France in World War 2.
      English: "Patriotism is to love your country. Nationalism is hating that of others."
    • ewac123 wrote:

I am by no means an expert at the game, but I have just recently "used every single unit ingame other than seasons".
      While there are certainly places for improvement, it is implied that when you research higher CM levels, you are "modernizing" your existing missile stock. This means, more HP, faster speed, more damage, and more warheads. In real life, the main problem for the US, Russia, Europe, China, and even smaller countries like Iraq was ensuring missile delivery, not the quantity of warheads. For instance, in the gulf war, Iraq had hundreds of Scuds, but most were destroyed either by Coalition Special forces or missed their target. Modern day China has thousands and thousands of conventional warheads, but lack the ability to decimate modern fleets consistently.

The other thing is the difference between games between "experienced" players, as well as the "publics".
      In theory(the goals for the devs), level 1 CMs would become COMPLETELY useless by day 25, because a single SAM can shoot it down.
      Therefore, the "launch soviet era missiles during ww3" idea was not implemented.
      Unfortunately, the chances of a player who knows how to use anti airs are low enough that in a normal public game, I seldom research my CMs beyond level 4, or at most, level 5. In my whole time playing, I have never once used a maxed out CM. This is because, people tend to place one frig, for instance, in a naval stack, and then think that they are safe. All I need to do is send an ASW chopper to confuse the frigate*, and then fire 5-10 CMs from point blank/close range. The entire fleet is sunk.

To answer the rest of your questions about ICBMs and BMs, well, I kind of answered them already.
      As your army "modernizes", in theory, your lower grade missiles will not deal enough damage to buildings, because of bunkers(that protect all buildings from damage), as well as TDS. I have never seen anyone other than a golder build bunkers. As for TDS, people tend to not know how to use them correctly for max potential.
      Ahhh, well, you haven't played with me yet.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

ewac123 wrote:

I am by no means an expert at the game, but I have just recently "used every single unit ingame other than seasons".

Ahhh, well, you haven't played with me yet.
      "Get ready to see how many hospitals I can build with this gold!"