Landmines, vehicles that lay them, way to counter them and how they might be implemented

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Landmines, vehicles that lay them, way to counter them and how they might be implemented

Today we got post from our moderator Yak about what might be coming in the new Season 6. One of those thing in the post was soft confirmation of landmines and vehicles that lay them. I created this thread to discuss way of using landmines, possible vehicles that use them, vehicles that counter them and overall way to couter landmines. Feel free to discuss it here since nobody have created topic for this purpose yet. Have a fun guys
    • Kranzegrad wrote:

Land mines... i has digging ups main info about mines, land minefields need required: combat outpost lvl 2, why? i saw one war movie: Frontier Post <<Serene>> (R18).

Land minesweeper unit is, 'Combat Engineer' unit, but... unit is... (research work is under process).

it's bit early for that... heh heh ^^
      If we talk about vehicles that may place land mines then there is for example German Skorpion and if we talk about sweeping units I would bet on engineer tanks like M1150 ABV or something similar. Ships are much easier for this task since there is entire class of minelayers and minesweepers and there also helicopters with naval mines. Anyway I find landmines very interesting since it may be cheap way to defend against enemies so they can't be so agresive. I think it will add more strategic way of playing for the game especilly for players with defend style. It also opens way for combat engineers infantry unit and minesweeping vehicles. I'm really looking forward to it
    • Hmmm, seems to me, the introduction of landmines will facilitate the following 2 things:

1.) Greater emphasis on Air Power. Unless they also code in balloon deployed "airmines" seems like a no brainer to concentrate more on units that can't be blown up by them.

2.) MOAR NG Spamming. Why damage your "real" units? Send out NG Spam individually to trigger the mines!
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Hahaha, i laughed.

"NG is now meta"
      "why ?"

"its main role is to disable minefields"
      "isn't there an engineer unit for that ?"
      "trust me"
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Joke apart, maybe minefield could work in a similar way to how Gaz artillery works in Supremacy 1 the great war.

You target somewhere, it creates a temporary invisible unit which "attacks" in area of effect every 10 minutes, effectively hurting through attrition the units going through it.

After a while, the unit disappears (cooldown).

The main downside i see to it is that mines are, historically, a similar problem to nuclear fallout.

You lay them in 1945, and in 2020, a child still may blow up on one that was forgotten there.
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Opulon wrote:

Joke apart, maybe minefield could work in a similar way to how Gaz artillery works in Supremacy 1 the great war.

You target somewhere, it creates a temporary invisible unit which "attacks" in area of effect every 10 minutes, effectively hurting through attrition the units going through it.

After a while, the unit disappears (cooldown).

The main downside i see to it is that mines are, historically, a similar problem to nuclear fallout.

You lay them in 1945, and in 2020, a child still may blow up on one that was forgotten there.
      I think adding temporary mines is not a good idea. At first it's not "realistic" and at second there would be no point in adding minesweeping vehicles. I would be for idea of mines which stay on the field for a good but when you used engineering vehicle in your unit against them then they won't harm you. I think it won't change current meta at all since every good player who I encountered was using mainly air force and navy and I'm personaly playing only 2 recon vehicles which you get as stater units and infantry - then I use artillery, helicopters and fighters and thats everything I need for win. There is no need to use aromored units at all even now
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

Hmmm, seems to me, the introduction of landmines will facilitate the following 2 things:

1.) Greater emphasis on Air Power. Unless they also code in balloon deployed "airmines" seems like a no brainer to concentrate more on units that can't be blown up by them.

2.) MOAR NG Spamming. Why damage your "real" units? Send out NG Spam individually to trigger the mines!
      As Opulon said earlier. If they add minesweeping engineering vehicles then there is no need for "wasting lives of natguards". Otherwise it might the easiest way how to get through mine fields
    • Capt_Rodgers wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

Hmmm, seems to me, the introduction of landmines will facilitate the following 2 things:

As Opulon said earlier. If they add minesweeping engineering vehicles then there is no need for "wasting lives of natguards". Otherwise it might the easiest way how to get through mine fields
      I guess that will all depend on the economics, and strategic situation. If minesweeping units are prohibitively expensive (time to build, buildings required, resources used, time to clear a mine) NG spamming may STILL be the way to go.
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

• Dealer of Death wrote:

Capt_Rodgers wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

I guess that will all depend on the economics, and strategic situation. If minesweeping units are prohibitively expensive (time to build, buildings required, resources used, time to clear a mine) NG spamming may STILL be the way to go.
      Since minesweeping unit is in most of the cases remade tank with different gun or without any gun I would say it should have same price as MBTs and multiple stages of development. Also I would say mines should be the cheapest way how to defend your self (thats why they're still used) then it would make no sence if they would make them very expensive. Of course it still might be the way but if 1 natguard unit won't take out entire mine field it might also be quite expensive way to get rid of enemy mines
    • Capt_Rodgers wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

Since minesweeping unit is in most of the cases remade tank with different gun or without any gun I would say it should have same price as MBTs and multiple stages of development. Also I would say mines should be the cheapest way how to defend your self (thats why they're still used) then it would make no sence if they would make them very expensive. Of course it still might be the way but if 1 natguard unit won't take out entire mine field it might also be quite expensive way to get rid of enemy mines
      I don't think I opined at all about the cost of mines, but rather of minesweepers. Again the strategic situation coupled with the economics, particularly the time and buildings required will almost surely make the NG approach viable, especially in the short term, until you have all the laborious efforts needed to have the minesweepers in place, because I think it only obvious they will be more complex requirement and timewise than say even a motorized infantry.
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• crazystoner wrote:

Blah blah blah...
      Naval mines, Land mines, well they never are not the optimal primary weapon to really win a battle.
      Oh the great lanemine victory of 2021
      I couldn't help but say this..
      But you can pretty much win a flashpoint with a corvette as a primary weapon.
      And excuse me, I couldn't help but add this too.
      That is a picture of the "Lane mine".
      mindat.org/loc-14012.html
      "Le patriotisme, c'est aimer son pays. Le nationalisme, c'est détester celui des autres."-Charles De Gaulle, Leader of Free France in World War 2.
      English: "Patriotism is to love your country. Nationalism is hating that of others."
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

Capt_Rodgers wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

I don't think I opined at all about the cost of mines, but rather of minesweepers. Again the strategic situation coupled with the economics, particularly the time and buildings required will almost surely make the NG approach viable, especially in the short term, until you have all the laborious efforts needed to have the minesweepers in place, because I think it only obvious they will be more complex requirement and timewise than say even a motorized infantry.
      There's no doubt about that but in case of mine sweepers I could see them as another support vehicle with approx same requirements as MBT. But we also forget to mention that mines won't be most likely single units but would special droppable munition of minelaying vehicle. So there's possibility that minelayers would be accesible at later date hence minesweepers won't be too hard to make. But we don't know how exactly mines will be implemented and if minesweepers get into the game because this is just our suggestion based on unit - counter unit system of CoN
    • Capt_Rodgers wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

Capt_Rodgers wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

"Greater emphasis on air power"
      Air is already the meta for public games.
      "Moar NG spamming"
      totally agree
      "As Opulon said earlier. If they add minesweeping engineering vehicles then there is no need for "wasting lives of natguards". Otherwise it might the easiest way how to get through mine fields'
      That makes sense kinda sorta.
      "The cost of an MBT"
      In that case it'd be cheaper to send Nat Guards to drive over and if they blow up, welp now u know where the mine is.
      A nat guard is around 100 jeeps with 6 people each
      The entire battalion takes 550 people.
      "Le patriotisme, c'est aimer son pays. Le nationalisme, c'est détester celui des autres."-Charles De Gaulle, Leader of Free France in World War 2.
      English: "Patriotism is to love your country. Nationalism is hating that of others."
    • crazystoner wrote:

So is this just an attempt to restrict the effectiveness of cruise balliastic and ICBM launcher in favor of MRL?
      Oh i just attack the tile and blow up all the mines before i move...

*fires ICMB to kill a mine*
      Nope. I would say this is restriction for melee ground attacks only since neither MRL nor ICBM launchers use melee attacks. I think mines will make surprising ground attacks harder since mines might take out half of your units if they aren't destroyed before initial attack