The Importance of planning and playing a more abstract game

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The Importance of planning and playing a more abstract game

I am a huge fan of creating "battle plans." I like to take screenshots of a frontline and figure out the bigger picture, and figure out what I will do in the long term. Locating important targets to attack, figuring out enemies' troop placements, etc. Then, when ready, I will draw up my map with lines, pinpointing what certain troops will do, and how I will execute an attack. Doing this with friends is also fun because you get to see a variety of ideas, all looking at the same situation through different angles, deciding the most effective way to wage war. With larger nations that could smite you if you mess up, the stakes are even higher. This practice is just as interesting and can be as in-depth as the game itself, without really needing to do anything in game. However, I do not see a lot of discussion on how you decide what to attack, and why.
      Do you feel as though creating and theorizing about possible attack strategies helps at all?
      What are your tips for coming up with ideas on how to attack? Or how to decide on a long-term strategy for a country?
    • I tend to wage war on three fronts, usally two aggressively and a third defensively.
      Mostly maneuvering my units to advantage, gathering intelligence where i can, and ultimately arriving at a specfic battle inwhich the fate of the game is decideded.

While waging war on three fronts another two fronts open up with spy actions and politics of private messages, if your unlucky a 6th and 7th front opens up with high unpoplarity with rebels and CON News updates comdemming your actions and calling for global action.

Sometimes its just a battle to keep you allies active and fighting.

End of the day, you don't know what your logging into.
      You should have plans, but its more like, if they build this unit, ill build that unit.
      If they do this, or they might do this, so ill counter that by doing that.

You might airdrop your stack into a massive gold spend, sent your entire naval force into a 20 instant max level destoryier drop.

Larger nations i tend to sent single probing units trying to capture homecities, i try not to theory craft too much and just play the game as i wake up to greet it.
    • In most pub games there isn't really anything advanced that needs to be done. Just send over some arty + aa stacks with supporting radar. Then throw in some inf to grab land and maybe asf into the pile. Considering that 95% of the players in pub games are not exactly used to getting MRLS crawled, it should be a pretty easy win.

As for naval, an officer + cruiser stack with proper scouting is honestly all you need. Maybe build a few frigs if missile/npa threat or some npa if you are facing attack subs.
    • StopThereCowboy wrote:

I am a huge fan of creating "battle plans." I like to take screenshots of a frontline and figure out the bigger picture, and figure out what I will do in the long term. Locating important targets to attack, figuring out enemies' troop placements, etc. Then, when ready, I will draw up my map with lines, pinpointing what certain troops will do, and how I will execute an attack. Doing this with friends is also fun because you get to see a variety of ideas, all looking at the same situation through different angles, deciding the most effective way to wage war. With larger nations that could smite you if you mess up, the stakes are even higher. This practice is just as interesting and can be as in-depth as the game itself, without really needing to do anything in game. However, I do not see a lot of discussion on how you decide what to attack, and why.
      Do you feel as though creating and theorizing about possible attack strategies helps at all?
      What are your tips for coming up with ideas on how to attack? Or how to decide on a long-term strategy for a country?
      You're grown enough to consider alliance, challenge, and competitive :D
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Opulon wrote:

StopThereCowboy wrote:

I was considering joining it here soon :D Seems like it would be a fun use of my time.
    • StopThereCowboy wrote:

Opulon wrote:

StopThereCowboy wrote:

I was considering joining it here soon :D Seems like it would be a fun use of my time.
      Yes! Try out the elite challenges and such. Planning out those are much more fun than facing players in regular matches who spam mbt and sf.