Tech tree branches

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Tech tree branches

Research tree has many upgrades for the units, such as engine upgrades, air defense, radar etc. However, getting these upgrades does not feel impactful because you need to get them to upgrade your units anyway. What if units were generalized into tech tree branches where you can customize them with different upgrades. Here is what it would look like:

Infantry is categorized into two sections: Basic infantry (containing mot. Infantry, mech infantry and ntl guard) and Specialized infantry (Marines, Airmobile and Special Forces)

I choose motorized infantry and then there are two paths: Power and Multiskill. Power unlocks research of upgrade that makes your infantry stronger vs infantry and armor, while Multiskill unlocks research of AA defense and mortars, sacrificing strength for versatility. For every level of the unit, there will be two to three upgrades and I can only pick one. For example, at level two I can pick Anti tank missile (power) OR anti-air missile (Multiskill). I can only have one, and if I research air defense while already having engine upgrade I will lose air defense. This is realistic because fireteams need to stay relatively light. They need to choose what is important based on the enemy and the resources available to them

I want some air support too

I go to the section Multirole which contains Strike fighters (deadly vs armor) and Attack jet (deadly vs infantry)

I choose attack jet, which branches into two paths:
      Firepower and Evasion. Firepower unlocks research of better weapons vs surface units, while evasion gives my jets higher speed and defense vs fighters so that they can survive attacks from the enemy

The system I have drafted up would not necessarily be a good one in game without major reworks, but I think fleshing out the independent upgrades and giving them new meaning would be beneficial. It would allow for more tactical planning. Additionally, it would make the game more realistic. The strike fighter is well rounded in game, when in reality it would not be too effective vs infantry. Attack jets could be the helicopter gunships of planes (Remember tactical bomber in Call of War) and there are plenty of planes to model them after (Western: A-37, F4E, A-10 / European: EE Canberra, Alpha Jet, International AMX / Eastern: Q-5, Su-25, Su-34)
      Yee Haw