Blacklist (engaging enemy troops)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Blacklist (engaging enemy troops)

I am not apologetic; I am posting another suggestion post that I think would be cool to see./s
      Again, I would like to hear feedback and maybe start some interesting discussions!

In-game, troops should have an ability next to the delay button called Blacklist. Blacklist gives you the ability to select target countries, and if they come in the radius of your ships, jets/bombers, ground troops, etc. your troops automatically engage them, moving towards them to fight or automatically fight if within the radius.

My idea for this feature is that they are specific for battalions, and not every troop you have engages, so that you can "blacklist" certain countries from entering a certain radius. Let's say for example you and Russia are beefing, and you tell Russia "I do not want to see any troops in location X." In the scenario where he moves troops into area X in disregard of your wishes, your troops will automatically engage because you selected for that battalion to engage Russia if they spot troops there. However, if he moves troops into location Y where you are fine with troops being there, you don't start an unnecessary war. I think this could make for a cool feature, and gives more reactionary power for the player without them needing to check their phone every 20 minutes to see if a country has disobeyed your wishes, which opens up for more politics. Not to mention, it does not change any aspect of the game in any significant way.
    • It seems to me (although I think this feature would come in handy, and I personally could use it to get more uninterrupted sleep) that this while you say "it does not change any aspect of the game in any significant way." does in fact alter the game significantly towards A.I. vs A.I. It would basically be implemented an "If ... Then" coding which takes active presence further out of the game. It would give people who don't wish (or can't [to be fair]) to make as much time commitment to the game over someone who might be active, and move something in to see something and then move it right out before a person using this would have seen it.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

It seems to me (although I think this feature would come in handy, and I personally could use it to get more uninterrupted sleep) that this while you say "it does not change any aspect of the game in any significant way." does in fact alter the game significantly towards A.I. vs A.I. It would basically be implemented an "If ... Then" coding which takes active presence further out of the game. It would give people who don't wish (or can't [to be fair]) to make as much time commitment to the game over someone who might be active, and move something in to see something and then move it right out before a person using this would have seen it.
      That makes a lot of sense. My original thinking was making it so that time commitment between players didn't need to be so steep unless you wanted it to be, however, this is a little flawed because active players can use it against someone who is asleep, for example. So I agree with your point.

I'd say it would be a good trade-off though. The blacklist feature would have downsides. I thought of one earlier, where if an enemy country knows what you have, and knows you have blacklist on, could engage your troops prepared. If you take a heavy bomber patrolling an area ready to rain hell, and country X waltzes in knowing that, they could be prepared with SAMs, taking out your squadron before you even know it.

But this is paid off for the fact that it is a personal choice. There would be noticeable flaws, but if you decide you want to use it, then you should be prepared for the consequences, just like most things in this game.

The only problem, and as you pointed out, is that it may actually shift the game in a noticeable way, giving another reason for players to not be as active. The game devs may not want that.
    • Hello,

yes, I agree we definitely need something like that. I don't see much problem with lands, but with sea it is definitely very bad. Ships have already some function like that if you are security council member, but still not enough. I have ships and airplanes all around my country like Australia, New Zealand, I don't want anyone to cross them and I want automatically attack anyone or backlisted countries as you say.
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

It seems to me (although I think this feature would come in handy, and I personally could use it to get more uninterrupted sleep) that this while you say "it does not change any aspect of the game in any significant way." does in fact alter the game significantly towards A.I. vs A.I. It would basically be implemented an "If ... Then" coding which takes active presence further out of the game. It would give people who don't wish (or can't [to be fair]) to make as much time commitment to the game over someone who might be active, and move something in to see something and then move it right out before a person using this would have seen it.
      I like the general idea of this suggestion, but I also agree with you. So I have got this idea. What about a way to create a circle, and blacklist the area in it for certain countries instead of blacklisting that country for a single unit? In this way all your units will react if they are inside of that circle and enemy units enter it. The circle can't be infinitely big (e.g it's maximum radius can be 500) and you can blacklist limited number of areas. Also the blacklist needs to be renewed manually or it will disappear after X number of days (let's say a week). + units like ballistic missile launcher can't react to enemy stepping into blacklisted region. Flying units can only react to other flying units (air defence). /* Side note. Maybe it would be better if bombers could attack navy or infantry. In this case, naval bombers can react to navy and normal bombers to infantry */. Navy can react only to navy and flying units. Infantry can react to anything. Only ranged attack land units and air defence/theater defence will open fire on enemy. Armies moving automatically, imho, may cause problems and more bugs.

The post was edited 3 times, last by zneigras ().

• Dealer of Death wrote:

I don't see a problem with that, if it's a Security Council-only feature.
      Paid membership gives you more advanced controls precisely so that you can set orders that allow your units and provinces to do things while you are away from the controls that you would otherwise have been able to do if you were there. This sounds like it would just be an extension of that.

I'd personally like to see more features added like this - stuff like radar contact logs, in-air waypoints for planes so you can fly around AA or attack from unexpected directions without doing it manually.
    • WalterChang wrote:

I don't see a problem with that, if it's a Security Council-only feature.Paid membership gives you more advanced controls precisely so that you can set orders that allow your units and provinces to do things while you are away from the controls that you would otherwise have been able to do if you were there. This sounds like it would just be an extension of that.

I'd personally like to see more features added like this - stuff like radar contact logs, in-air waypoints for planes so you can fly around AA or attack from unexpected directions without doing it manually.
      Well it doesn't "bother" me personally either, but I believe I remember many times Dorado reps have mentioned that they try to increase the P v P aspects vs the P v A.I. aspects. I brought it up as an inference of what the company is ostensibly trying to do (if my memory is correct) not my personal preference. As someone who sees his available time dwindling, I'm OK with the idea.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • No cheating :) AI doesnt attack alies with right of way, the same is here, engage anything in radar could be when you see a flag. That way air patrols would be even more handy over sea. Now the only way is to declare war against all players who you dont want to come through, and declaring war to like 10 countries means your morale will be very low... Other thing is like not to let other player disembark you need to keep ship in city harbour, and that means that if city is bombarded with balistic missle the ships will be destroyed too..