Night bonus

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Night bonus

Hello,

Situation:
      Game mechanics push players to play or check game almost 24/7. It is very easy to optain decesive advantage againts player who is inactive for few hours. This is very anoing especialy during night hours And game experience is degraded by this. And many games are decided not by tactic and play skill but more By willing to sacrefice real life.

Suggestion 1:
      Implement night bonus during night time. This Time depends on in game hours. For e.g. +50% defense for all defending units during time 10:00 pm ~ 6:00 am.

expected result:
      There is still opportunity to use advantage of surprise temporary inactive (sleeping) player who cant counter manouver but with expected higher looses or higher material needs.

Or maybe

Suggestion 2:
      During night time all ground units have 1/2 movement speed when moving on enemy teritory.

expected result:
      Obvisously effectivity of night rush is decreased. It reflect real situation. And Still allowing for eg night bombing and air strikes as preparation for next day ground operations.

or some combination of both.

what do you think?
    • I don't know about you, but i prefer 4x speed games because of the sleep deprivation.
      Battlefield conditions, is that you might not sleep for days, weeks even.

The normal speed games, are alot more boring, in that you can't make plays for capitals, you can't strike with surprise, everything you do has massive leadup times for the enemy to respond which i believe is unrealistic.

Only suggestion i would make is some sort of alert when someone declares war on you, the email system seem more about inactivity then anything. Every commander has to sleep, question is, do you tell your subordinates to wake you up? and if so, what conditions are required to wake up a sleep deprived commander?

An example for me, would be losing a submarine in my submarine net as i would have to coordinate the remain submarines attack plan to counter the aggression. Rather then having an enemy taskforce smash through 3 defensive lines of single submarines while another 10 nearby stay inactive and don't respond.
    • AlcideNikopol wrote:

Hello,

Situation:
      Game mechanics push players to play or check game almost 24/7. It is very easy to optain decesive advantage againts player who is inactive for few hours. This is very anoing especialy during night hours And game experience is degraded by this. And many games are decided not by tactic and play skill but more By willing to sacrefice real life.

Suggestion 1:
      Implement night bonus during night time. This Time depends on in game hours. For e.g. +50% defense for all defending units during time 10:00 pm ~ 6:00 am.

expected result:
      There is still opportunity to use advantage of surprise temporary inactive (sleeping) player who cant counter manouver but with expected higher looses or higher material needs.

Or maybe

Suggestion 2:
      During night time all ground units have 1/2 movement speed when moving on enemy teritory.

expected result:
      Obvisously effectivity of night rush is decreased. It reflect real situation. And Still allowing for eg night bombing and air strikes as preparation for next day ground operations.

what do you think?
      I will summon the GermanicNo bot.
      AND NO, BECAUSE WE ARE ALL IN DIFFERENT TIME ZONES!!!!
      EU time and US/CA time is very different.
      "Le patriotisme, c'est aimer son pays. Le nationalisme, c'est détester celui des autres."-Charles De Gaulle, Leader of Free France in World War 2.
      English: "Patriotism is to love your country. Nationalism is hating that of others."
    • AlcideNikopol wrote:

Hello,

Situation:

Suggestion 1:

expected result:

Or maybe

Suggestion 2:

expected result:

what do you think?
      As said above, this would be pretty difficult to put into action, and give unnecessary advantage to people in the same lobby as you but in a different time zone. Maybe it's specific to where a person is, but then couldn't you change your time zone to gain an advantage? It just seems unrealistic to implement because of its shortcomings. This idea isn't all bad though and touches on a key issue with CONs game design.

I did try and tackle this problem before in a previous post I made about blacklisting specific countries if they enter into a certain radius, and personally, I feel like if the game design team were to try and give all players an equal footing, that would be apart of the equation. Making it possible for countries to defend themselves while asleep is needed, and I agree, victory is sometimes dictated by those who spend more time online playing. However, this mechanic could be easily abusable by switching your time zone whenever necessary. Moreover, it may give some major buffs/debuffs to current mechanics.
      Take for example underground bunker, which is already really good. Troops stationed in a city with an underground bunker during the purposed time periods would be unreasonably powerful and difficult to deal with. Stealth (not the game mechanic, I am talking about deception) would also become less powerful. As someone said above, air striking targets can offer a surprise to an enemy. Weakening that element of surprise by debuffing the attack during the time periods forces a strategy change that may not be ultimately healthy for the game. The element of surprise can help force your opponent's attention elsewhere, while you plan out a series of invasions they have yet to see coming because they are distracted. But if you take away the incentive for players to surprise their enemy, what would end up happing is huge battalions would become meta very quickly because the only thing that matters is damage output because of the buffs/debuffs, rather than strategic planning. That's how I see it, though. Do we want a meta like that? We already sort of do with arty, and that is such a pain in the ass. So I don't think it's a good change in the end.

While I agree with your reasoning, I do not agree with your solution. What the game devs should consider doing is giving more reactionary power to players, rather than change any in-game mechanics. Giving ways for players to plan 12-24 hours in advance would help this problem a lot, and give everyone the chance to play this game strategically, instead of forcing players to be on every other hour of the day to win.
    • Thanks all for your reply

add 1
      Ofc timezone will be determined by server (game) not by player and will be the same for all players in game.

add 2
      There must be more servers (games) with different timezones so you can choose the game best matching your real timezone. Eg. Gmt + 0 , gmt + 6 , gmt + 12, ...

or game can go even further:
      day and night will change on map dynamicaly like in real world it is (of course a bit simplyfied, eg only 4 time zones will be enought) .. so you simply chose the country with night time matching best to your real position... again if you are in eu and want to play as australia choose server where time zone is changed in the way like real time zone in eu = timezone ingame in australia ( like add 2)

this day and night mechanic also opens new possibilites to units behavior.. eg spec ops more efective during night... bombers balanced as doing less damage but also take less damage at night so its better to attack fortified anti air positions at night) some units move slower at enemy teritory at night...

i think goal is not to disable action at night but avoid situation when you loose 50% of country by objectively weaker player just because you go to sleep :)
    • AlcideNikopol wrote:

Thanks all for your reply

add 1
      Ofc timezone will be determined by server (game) not by player and will be the same for all players in game.

add 2
      There must be more servers (games) with different timezones so you can choose the game best matching your real timezone. Eg. Gmt + 0 , gmt + 6 , gmt + 12, ...

or game can go even further:
      day and night will change on map dynamicaly like in real world it is (of course a bit simplyfied, eg only 4 time zones will be enought) .. so you simply chose the country with night time matching best to your real position... again if you are in eu and want to play as australia choose server where time zone is changed in the way like real time zone in eu = timezone ingame in australia ( like add 2)

this day and night mechanic also opens new possibilites to units behavior.. eg spec ops more efective during night... bombers balanced as doing less damage but also take less damage at night so its better to attack fortified anti air positions at night) some units move slower at enemy teritory at night...

i think goal is not to disable action at night but avoid situation when you loose 50% of country by objectively weaker player just because you go to sleep :)
      In my opinion adding timezones will remove the international feature of this game, not everyone of us live in America or Europe.
      Also I wouldn't like to condition my Country Selection by the in-game timezone feature... and what about 4x games? The night factor would change the game drastically without adding any sleep-improvement for the players.

I guess an important part of the strategic gameplay is to plan your movements during the time you have so you can have a good sleep...

I would only suggest to remove the "hit and run" option that the game allows when using artillery/navy, therefore if you praise your sleep you can always play defensive without an active player just damaging your units without your artillery/navy firing back.