Air Power Terrain Buffs/De-Buffs + Ships seem to be a bit OP against ground targets/cities

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Air Power Terrain Buffs/De-Buffs + Ships seem to be a bit OP against ground targets/cities

Has the concept of terrain buffs and de-buffs for air units such as strike jets and attack helicopters been considered?

For example, in the Iraq War, airpower annihilated ground forces in the desert because of the open terrain, whereas the thick jungle in Vietnam shielded VC troops.

Perhaps attack choppers could have mountain and city buffs, whilst bombers and strike jets receive de-buffs for jungle and mountains?

On a second note, I think ships do a bit too much damage to cities and ground troops. Ships in this game seem way too impactful in war, given you can wreak a city in a mere few hours. And this is coming from someone who always aims for a big navy for this specific reason :p

Just some thoughts.
    • Gen. Grievous wrote:

On a second note, I think ships do a bit too much damage to cities and ground troops. Ships in this game seem way too impactful in war, given you can wreak a city in a mere few hours. And this is coming from someone who always aims for a big navy for this specific reason :p
      their damage to ground units is kinda okayish? imo its not really that high; especially killing armor with navy can take an eternity and thats assuming they're left close enough to the cost for a long enough time. it's more of a "dont park your stuff in enemy ship range for a day" then "navy goes brrt and now all your landunits are gone" thing
      i think cruisers deal at max like 25/20 dmg vs soft/hard? its enough to be a threat but not really overkill.

About them being stronk vs cities; well thats pretty much the thing youre aiming for when having a navy; bombing enemy cities, besides bombing cities ships are only really good for 2 other things: killing other ships and destroying transports
      also: cruisers deal 2.5 dmg to buildings at max lvl
      i dont think thats that op? enough to shit on lowlvl buildings but anything with a bit more HP will take quite a while to fully demolish
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • I swear, I am going to curse the next person who calls for breaking my toys (nerfing in any way) with a curse that makes all their food taste like Haggis. :P
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • I like Haggis.

Put it like this:
      Every other unit type has a wealth of counter-units from various different unit classes.

But if you want a good anti-navy unit that isn't another naval unit, you've got... what?
      NPA, if you level them up a lot and don't mind losing them nearly as fast as your enemy loses ships. So that's one.
      And then maybe ASW helicopters, but they are only any good at level 6, and again you'll lose them almost as fast as your enemy loses his ships.
      And that's it.
      You can use cruise missiles successfully sometimes, but you'll waste a lot of them - and they are an expensive thing to waste - if you don't know what the fleet's composition is. And the only way of finding out the composition of an approaching naval radar contact is to have a closer look. Submarines don't work well for this, because they will be detected and wrecked by any destroyer that's in the fleet before they get can close enough; and any aerial unit will get wrecked by frigates.

So the obvious conclusion is just to have a stronger surface fleet than your opponent. Or else you lose.
      None of the other offensive weapons in the game have such limited options of such limited effect for countering them. That's why they feel overpowered in the overall balance of the unit roster, my view.

I don't think ships necessarily need to have their stats reduced; but I'd say there does need to be more varied ways of countering them, and that work better than they currently do.
    • I wouldn't say that.

The only units that can capture territory are infantry. Everything else is essentially for preventing enemy infantry from getting to your cities, and for supporting your own infantry in getting to theirs.

Artillery and tanks do it on land, ships do it on the sea and in coastal regions, and aerial units can do a bit of both.

If you are trying to protect your coast or assault the enemy coast, nothing is effective against a strong fleet except for an even stronger fleet. There are no land or air-based units that can adequately compete with a well balanced task force to win a battle for a coastal region.

And there's quite a lot of coast in the world.

The post was edited 1 time, last by WalterChang ().

• WalterChang wrote:

I wouldn't say that.

The only units that can capture territory are infantry. Everything else is essentially for preventing enemy infantry from getting to your cities, and for supporting your own infantry in getting to theirs.

Artillery and tanks do it on land, ships do it on the sea and in coastal regions, and aerial units can do a bit of both.

If you are trying to protect your coast or assault the enemy coast, nothing is effective against a strong fleet except for an even stronger fleet. There are no land or air-based units that can adequately compete with a well balanced task force to win a battle for a coastal region.

And there's quite a lot of coast in the world.
      My point is more along the lines of "if your enemy doesnt have a shitton of coastal homeland cities or needs to cross the pacifc/atlantic then your navy is pretty much worthless" because ships can't really do much more than bomb coastal cities and kill other ships; and neither of the two options really gains VP
      ground/air on the other side clear out countries on land where you get VP for any progress you make; so while a stronk navy might be really hard to contest, it's also fairly simple to render completely uselss ... just by not needing to engage it
      air/ground arent that limited in that regard
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Teburu wrote:

while a stronk navy might be really hard to contest, it's also fairly simple to render completely uselss ... just by not needing to engage it
      air/ground arent that limited in that regard
      I guess it depends on the map. I like to play the global one, and I don't see how you can win that game without dominating the oceans - if not individually then as a coalition. Sure, you could hold out in Mongolia or Kazakhstan against naval dominance and maybe survive in 6th place at the end, but you aren't going to get anywhere very far ultimately if your enemies have more and better ships than you.

I just think the balance is a bit off between navies and the availability of viable non-naval counter-units. Not massively, but I do think it could do with some tinkering.