Rank Your Preference of Public Games

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Rank Your Preference of Public Games

Rank your preference of the Public Game types (Maps) listed below. Plus, since my own experience is limited, pleas make any corrections or additions I may have missed/messed up. Don't include past maps gone, Alliance only, or maps no longer in rotation. Go!
      -
      WW3
      WW3 4X
      WW3 Apocalypse
      WW3 Apocalypse 4X
      Overkill
      Overkill 4X
      Rising Tides
      Rising Tides 4X
      Flashpoint
      Battleground USA
      Western Theater
      WWZ
      WWZ 4X
      Blood & Oil
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • For me, it's:
      1 WW3
      2 WWZ
      3 Flashpoint
      4 Battleground USA
      5 Rising Tides

Haven't Played
      WW3 4X
      WW3 Apocalypse (if this even exists anymore, I've been looking for one almost a year)
      WW3 Apocalypse 4X
      Overkill
      Overkill 4X
      Rising Tides 4X
      Western Theater
      WWZ 4X
      Blood & Oil
      ------------------

4X games are just right out for me, and overkill just seems pointless, same objectives split between more people. Haven't had a chance at Blood & Oil, WW3 Apocalypse, or Western Theater yet.
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

• I can't stand a normal speed game, every significant move will finish when am sleep or until next day!

My preference is:

1. WW3 4X - Because nations are diferent between each other, not like in Overkill where they are so balanced that big countries fall in disadvantage... in my opinion (Less cities and more provinces to defend, like Russia. There's no Israel... Hawai is not a city!)

2. Overkill 4X - Is my favorite when I want a game that doesn't last too long and more nations are playable

3. Blood & Oil 4x - Sadly is not available that often but map is really fun

4. WWZ 4X - Just because of zombies :evil: I think would be cool if they were more aggresive and numerous
    • I like 'em all except for Apocalypse because gold has the most impact (via research).

My favs are:
      WWZ x4 (can turn into a mess real quick)
      WWZ
      WW3
      Rising Tides
      Battleground USA
      Overkill
      Western Theater
      Blood and Oil
      Flashpoint

I'll alternate between 4x and regular depending on how much free time I'm expecting in the coming weeks. Otherwise, I don't have much preference between the two.
    • Very interesting topic. I should try a X4 nowadays, but i remain a bit "traumatized". I played one a bit more than a year ago, and it was both easy ( retarded opponents spamming infantries, strike fighters, and not active for long period of times (like 3 hours... ) ) AND tiring, because despite the lack of difficulty, it was obvious i could die if i wasn't checking on the game every 30 minutes, even the night.

I don't mind "doing it", but i felt somewhat it was not worth it when the "actual difficulty" was so low. Have things changed ?
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Opulon wrote:

Very interesting topic. I should try a X4 nowadays, but i remain a bit "traumatized". I played one a bit more than a year ago, and it was both easy ( retarded opponents spamming infantries, strike fighters, and not active for long period of times (like 3 hours... ) ) AND tiring, because despite the lack of difficulty, it was obvious i could die if i wasn't checking on the game every 30 minutes, even the night.

I don't mind "doing it", but i felt somewhat it was not worth it when the "actual difficulty" was so low. Have things changed ?
      I think your level of compete is *significantly* higher than the average player of this game. I love this game, love the strategy, fight to win and hate losing. However, I don't check on my 4x games every half hour. I sleep through the night and even get my cup of coffee ready before I log in. I go shopping, do chores, etc, all without stopping to verify I'm not being secretly murdered. If I'm in the middle of a fight, all bets are off, but otherwise, that's my standard.

So, with that perspective, I do recommend you try a 4x if for no other reason than you get through the scrub players much quicker and can settle in for the fight against the other players with some skill. However, I also recommend you dial down the expectations and worry (if you can - my friend is like you re fantasy sports and its completely beyond his control :) ). After all, whatcha got to lose, besides some sleep?
    • You are right, equally for your friend and for me. It's just that we can't really help it, i tie it to people that can't go through a week-end without checking their mails :D . It would be extremely more wiser to be able to say "well, if i just get attacked in the night, i just got attacked in the night, next", but i never managed to learn this kind of "relaxed discipline".

Guess i'll continue to stay away from the 4X then ^^
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • WW 3 1x
      Flashpoint 1x
      Western Theatre 1x

I only play 4x when I want to build things really fast and then I lose really fast :thumbsup: I have enjoyed building things quickly that I rarely ever get in slower game .
      "Retreat hell! We're not retreating ..we're just advancing in a different direction." General Oliver Smith USMC
    • 1. WW3
      > classic map; always in rotation; easy to get into even with premates
      2. Blood & Oil
      > It's a smaller map thats not filled with new players by default like FP/ BG USA but i havent seen it in a while
      3. Rising Tides
      > There are some interesting changes in the map geography tho i feel like they could've messed up the continents a bit more; early iterations of the gamemode were broken as fuck (as in you were able to solo the map within 10-ish days)
      4. Battleground USA
      > Same as FP but imo the geography is a bit more interesting with rivers giving a few more natural chokepoints
      5. Flashpoint
      > It's FP, what exactly is there to talk about? It's kinda solid if you just want a chill round running in the background that you can forget about for a couple of days without any repercussions
      6. WWZ
      It's a WW3 map and the "zombie" part is strangely fitting cuz ppl act like they have no brains and early on ppl tend to get rekt by the zombies cuz they dab on your inf; basically you just need to be careful early on and later just clean the zombie infected areas afaik they kinda nerfed zombies into the ground with the last updates to the gamemode so im not sure where its currently at
      tho to be fair i think a large part of the issue in wwz is ppl not knowing shit about zombies (maybe a warning like "instead of insurgents zombies spawn [insert zombie stat page])
      7. Overkill
      > not really a fan of it; imo its just WW3 but now with more countries and half of them are fucked; tho i havent played it in an eternity but imo it basically just amounts to a normal ww3 but with more inactive players
      8. really any 4x
      I like my sleep thx

does the middle eastern map still exist? i think it's been literal years since i last saw one of them
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Teburu wrote:

1. WW3
      > classic map; always in rotation; easy to get into even with premates
      +++

3. Rising Tides
      > There are some interesting changes in the map geography tho i feel like they could've messed up the continents a bit more; early iterations of the gamemode were broken as fuck (as in you were able to solo the map within 10-ish days)
      ---
      HATE this map and the whole victory site BS, you can forget ANY chance of winning if you pick the wrong country, even if it seems like it would be viable

4. Battleground USA
      > Same as FP but imo the geography is a bit more interesting with rivers giving a few more natural chokepoints
      +/-
      Well the configuration of the map IS more interesting. The one game I played, I was able to do well as Iowa utilizing the 3 rivers of protection well, but somehow, the resources seemed to be about 50% less than Flashpoint

5. Flashpoint
      > It's FP, what exactly is there to talk about? It's kinda solid if you just want a chill round running in the background that you can forget about for a couple of days without any repercussions
      +++
      My go to map for testing Seasonal units capabilities

6. WWZ
      It's a WW3 map and the "zombie" part is strangely fitting cuz ppl act like they have no brains and early on ppl tend to get rekt by the zombies cuz they dab on your inf; basically you just need to be careful early on and later just clean the zombie infected areas afaik they kinda nerfed zombies into the ground with the last updates to the gamemode so im not sure where its currently at
      tho to be fair i think a large part of the issue in wwz is ppl not knowing shit about zombies (maybe a warning like "instead of insurgents zombies spawn [insert zombie stat page])
      ++/--
      I only played the very first one and one shortly after, so I had the Flash zombies. Two of the most fun games I ever lost. I can see how it's appeal is much lowered with twice nerfed zombies
      7. Overkill
      > not really a fan of it; imo its just WW3 but now with more countries and half of them are fucked; tho i havent played it in an eternity but imo it basically just amounts to a normal ww3 but with more inactive players
      +++
      Almost exactly my sentiments, why I never bothered.
      8. really any 4x
      I like my sleep thx
      ++++++++++
      I like to micromanage, and even 1X takes too much of my time, I can't imagine playing 4X without collapsing from no sleep, and having a backlog of Real Life

The KING of CoN News!!!

• 1. Ww3 apocalypse 4x: because of the level 1 research is unlocked for all units and you have nukes double the numbet of cities

2. Rising Tides : amazing map and making a navy on Danube is really fun.

3. WW3 both speeds : 4x when I have a lot of time and 1x when I don'thave enough time.

4. Blood And Oil 4x : I like this map because of many reasons. The centre of the map is on Eurasia which cool . and who doesn't like oil ?!

5. Flashpoint : I never forget this map and frequently join these rounds. Flashpoints FOREVER!
    • How do you gents play 1x with units that need supervision?

Take planes and drones, just as an example. If i am doing a SF attack, i need to be there to see the stats, the attack results, decide whether to split the stack, whether they should go back and repair or go for another attack... one of those processes can easily take 30-40 minutes. in 4x, i sit there, watch it, spend 10 minutes, decide, and ideally finish the attack and send them to a hospital. doing the same, say 2-3 attacks in 1x, can take 1.5-2 hours. How do you gents do that?

I'm a fan of stealth drones. I send them, scout, and decide whether i should attack a city or move onto the next one. Once they are maxed, they have a huge range, but that means they can take forever to get there - and forever x4 if you are playing 1x.

let alone playing the hit&runs... that would really keep me nailed to the game for hours and hours, be that with ships or arty.

I haven't played 1x for a long time, but i would imagine if i was to, i would use different units, different strategies, to cater for the scenario development time? i could see myself going a lot more MRL/SAM (more static, more independent, need less supervision) rather than more interactive units... wrong?
    • Yes. The more we exhange on such topics, the more it appears obvious that "except if you are willing to be active 24/24 commited and reactive", the meta of units varies wildly.

I do not play 4X a lot, so... establishing a theory and validating it through scientifical method will be someone else job :D

Even in X1, large battle can be intensive for the brain, in terms of micro management. In X4, the effect is multiplied, and i think that, especially if you try to play well, it becomes a parameter to take into acount "the ability to process user actions properly", and to that end, less subtle units may become interesting
    • 4X imo didn't impact my preference so i will referred to both of each map. range by favorite to hate.

Rising Tides 128 (after nerf VS): YO look at how then vietnam is, this map is a blast
      Rising Tides 100: Im sad.
      Overkill 128: bigger WW3, still OK. NEPAL GO BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT
      Rising Tides 128 (after adjust starter unit): lol marine go brrrrrrrrrt 1000VP victory site
      WWZ 128 (unnerf zombie): YO THIS MAP IS A BLAST
      Overkill 100: im sad.
      WWZ 100 (and nerded zombie): they don't even concluded the map background :<
      WW3: OK
      Western Theater: OK
      Blood & Oil (unnerf rebel): OK

Battleground USA: OK
      Blood & Oil (nerfed rebel): damn im sad
      Flashpoint: i forget this map existed
      Rising Tides 128 (before adjust starter unit): DUDE HIGH LEVEL START UNITS IS SO BROKEN
      WW3 Apocalypse: GOD NO I DONT HAVE GOLD
      This post was made by Leader of the Church of ROAD
    • This is an interesting topic. In pub matches, I prefer 4x for the pace.
      WW3 4x is my clear favorite. I like the decision of doctrine and how it affects when your units are available. Also with everything not available day 1, you won't face max level infantry on day 1.
      Overkill 4x is #2 for me. I really enjoy the 100 players, 3 person coalition dynamic and the strategy behind the victory sites. The decisions you make on how to conquer and defend them vs just taking cities makes it a little more strategic then a regular map.
      Apoc 4x is #3.
      If Battleground USA was a 4x, I think I would enjoy it. But the 1x nature of it and mostly being brand new players makes it hard for me to enjoy it.

All that said, alliance matches on both the Med map and the world redux map are more fun then any pub match!
      The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his.... George S Patton