Current state of Naval

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Kalrakh wrote:

Laur wrote:

I did not know that.

Why does the ballistic missile do have a damage rating against ships then?
      That is a good question, out don't think there are many spaces, where a ship could get close enough to a province center to even get in range of the damage area, at least of a BM. Nukes are more likely, but even those are hard to achieve.
      when you build a naval unit and it pops out of the port, it will take splash damage from nukes when the city is hit. I learned this the hard way. ;(
    • DOA70 wrote:

Kalrakh wrote:

Laur wrote:

I did not know that.

That is a good question, out don't think there are many spaces, where a ship could get close enough to a province center to even get in range of the damage area, at least of a BM. Nukes are more likely, but even those are hard to achieve.
      when you build a naval unit and it pops out of the port, it will take splash damage from nukes when the city is hit. I learned this the hard way. ;(
      Those are the rare instances that are hard to achieve :D
    • Kalrakh wrote:

DOA70 wrote:

Kalrakh wrote:

Laur wrote:

I did not know that.

Those are the rare instances that are hard to achieve :D
      I have hit plenty of ships with ballistic missiles by targeting the city.
    • playbabe wrote:

just buff asw heli, that thing is real coastal def due to short range
      Yeah, but there's still a gap in the unit roster for a dedicated land-based anti-ship weapon. It could be artillery or it could be a missile launcher. (Maybe it could level up from one to the other?)

The game does have land-based cruise missile launchers, but the building prerequisites and long reload time make it pretty unappealing to build for that purpose (or any other purpose, for that matter!).

They're not that common these days, apparently, but some countries do still use coastal anti-ship batteries, so I think it would be good for the game to represent them.
    • Warning - A vampire, zombie necromancer is attacking you by continuing this 2021 conversation!

The "meta-triangle" (MLRS/SAM/ASF) used by hyper-active, skilled-at-maneuvering and skilled-at-economics, expert alliances (according to what I've read) doesn't include ships.

Why is that? Why don't players mention any ships when they describe "THE META!"?

Is it because there are always ships involved in a win, but there is no optimum/meta mix of ships?

Is it because ships usually don't decide which alliance wins an alliance match?

Is it because of something else?
    • KFGauss wrote:

Warning - A vampire, zombie necromancer is attacking you by continuing this 2021 conversation!

The "meta-triangle" (MLRS/SAM/ASF) used by hyper-active, skilled-at-maneuvering and skilled-at-economics, expert alliances (according to what I've read) doesn't include ships.

Why is that? Why don't players mention any ships when they describe "THE META!"?

Is it because there are always ships involved in a win, but there is no optimum/meta mix of ships?

Is it because ships usually don't decide which alliance wins an alliance match?

Is it because of something else?
      I’d say primarily for two reasons:

- Navy is not an immediate Threat
      - Naval Combat is for all intents and purposes in essence completely seperate from „regular“ fighting
      I am The Baseline for opinions