Current state of Naval

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Colonel Waffles wrote:

      Kalrakh wrote:

      Coastal guns would be useless, because navy players would just tick or missile them down.

      Same goes with CDS/MRL, navy moves quicker than any ground unit, so they can easily out tick you any time.

      RG are in theory anti-navy, but in practicality, lack of range makes them pretty useless, even more since units need to fully disembark, before they can shoot after air assault.
      Well the concept was more defensive than anything. It’s not for chasing them down, but instead you put a CDS in every coastal city to ward off angry fleets. They would also have a range equal to or greater than cruiser, but this could be tipping the balance as an anti-ship unit out ranging cruiser sounds like it could have many underlying problems
      I don't think they'd be useless as a province improvement.

      You could have 3 levels in rural provinces and 5 levels (just to keep it in line with other buildings) in cities, with each incremental improvement increasing the damage and range of the coastal guns. The top level would be at least equal to the longest range of any ship.

      That way, you could surround an important city with coastal defences, both in the city and in the surrounding regions. Yes, a powerful fleet should be able to destroy them, but it would take a strong task force and significant time to achieve - thereby giving the defender time to organise other counter-measures.

      Because they would be province improvements rather than units, they would be visible to all players at all times, even when under construction - that way, the naval attacker would know they were there and could take their own measures (like sabotage or aerial bombardment) to prepare the ground before sending in their ships.

      It wouldn't be a fail-safe; just a way of buying time for the defender.
    • Just build a Navy?
      Why have fixed coastal guns when you could have mobile naval ships.

      Thing about Naval Warfare is its dependant on Radar, 75 radar range gets owned by 100 radar range. 125 radar range and 100 attack range owns 100 radar range.

      Being good at naval battles is more about who has AWAC. Coastal radars are cannon fodder, and naval patrol planes will attack entire taskforces alone and require alot of upgrades to have effective radar range. Cover the map in AWAC, upgrade Frigate, Destoryer, Cruiser, Attack or Ballastic Sub to 100 atkrange. Most prefer Destoryers because of the high speed and just hit and run on enemy task forces, that first attack dictates the entire engagment usally.

      Without a range or radar advantage then you mightaswell blindfold yourself and stumble around in the dark trying to ram them.
      Bit like corvettes with their unmatched speed with limited radar and attack range.

      Am i happy with what is it? 15000 gold? for 1 days intelligence of enemy ship movements?
      Well you can win a game in a single day, but id like to see more spy activites related to ship movements.

      Naval engagements with airstriking, coastal bombardment and enemy ship maneuvering?
      In 1x speed, id say its rare, and in 4x speed its a bit like, go to sleep with huge navy, wake up with gone and having dealt no damage.

      They are unforgiving, very drawn out engagement that last days.
      Highly bias towards coastal supremacy and deep sea disappearing.
      I suppose the entire pathing could come into questions with shipping routes.

      Id like to see a larger range of ships, from tankers, to helicopter docks, maybe those hover crafts.
      Things to change up playstyle in new exciting ways, like loading tanks into a hovercraft to bypass docks.
      Helicopter assaulting special forces/airborn infantry into an enemy homecity by ship.
      Limiting patrol range of naval asset depending on fuel and resupply range.
      Anti-ship Missile/Torpedo (i know there are cruise missiles) more like an ICBM type weapon thats antiship.
      Ships could be a little more expensive and cheaper. 6day researched destoryers are what 3000C 1150E where 7day researched Corvettes 1950S 950E for half the hp, no missile def and limited radar/atk range. Then with Subs and Carriers you have rare materal requirements that just annilates your progression as they becoming increasing expensive to the point you cannot replace them. I guess my only grip is Corvettes are expensive for lacking so much while cruisers are so good but cost so little compared with rare materal requirements of subs and carriers. Or even the lose rate of aircraft while conducting operations, im pretty sure i can play as USA and have around 10 corvettes and 15 frigates end of day 5 without gold because of how cheap they are and how big USA starting economy is.
    • agree, the naval is very simple, straightforward and lack of depth. which could be good things or maybe not. i see some features is possible without have to subtract our current ability from ship to introduce more rule. (ex. remove infinite range to introduce fuel ship/operations range)

      there is some features i would like to see that probably not the best idea or would massively improve naval but i certainly want to see them.

      - stealth transport ship for stealth ground units that only stealth when in coastal
      - Corvette with low signatures
      - massively reduce disembarking time for amphibious units (maybe except spec ops, that would be too funny)
      - buff ASW heli to be a “good” alternative to defense shoes to NPA or ship
      - better healing method for large hp ship (dry dock plz)

      and the most important
      ELITE CORVETTE
      no meta, I do what meta don't do and YEET them with ridiculous tactic. - IT YEET OR BE YEETED
    • Does none of you know you can shoot ballistic missiles at ships?

      Because I did not either, and I was mad to see I was being targeted with naval units by ballistic missiles.
      1 nuclear BaM hit can destroy an entire stack of 5 units.

      I find it unfair though that in Reseach you may read "Missile can only target provinces and cities", and if you try to launch it at a naval stack from an Elite Bomber or Submarine, guess what.. invalid target.

      I am yet to try it, but I saw a pattern in my last match, which makes me 95% sure that they can only be shot from BM launchers.
    • Laur wrote:

      Does none of you know you can shoot ballistic missiles at ships?

      Because I did not either, and I was mad to see I was being targeted with naval units by ballistic missiles.
      1 nuclear BaM hit can destroy an entire stack of 5 units.

      I find it unfair though that in Reseach you may read "Missile can only target provinces and cities", and if you try to launch it at a naval stack from an Elite Bomber or Submarine, guess what.. invalid target.

      I am yet to try it, but I saw a pattern in my last match, which makes me 95% sure that they can only be shot from BM launchers.
      This is a known bug
      It is only present on mobile
      Yee Haw
    • Kalrakh wrote:

      Laur wrote:

      I did not know that.

      Why does the ballistic missile do have a damage rating against ships then?
      That is a good question, out don't think there are many spaces, where a ship could get close enough to a province center to even get in range of the damage area, at least of a BM. Nukes are more likely, but even those are hard to achieve.
      Splash damage?

      It would be weird since excepting the chemical missile, both the conventional and the nuclear ballistic ones have the highest damage rating against ships. :)

      SO they inflict some damage to infantry, armored, planes and heli but the best they hurt the ships.

      P.S.: Does shooting cruise missiles at airplanes in flight work?
      Tried it, failed.

      This would be a good second question as to "Why do missiles have a damage rating against aircraft if they can't target it"?

      I thought stationary aircraft are included under the "SOFT" category (the helmet icon).
    • Missile hit every thing full inside their hit area. A CM T1 has a hit area of about 5 and a ICBM T3 of 75 if I remember correctly.

      Aircrafts count as soft on the ground yes, but they can get damage by missiles to, if they are patroling about a target that is getting hit by a missile.
      In old time the center of the patrol needed to be in range of the splash range, now I believe the full patrol counts, though I did not test it yet.
    • I've had an enemy cruise missile chase my helicopters in flight before. It was targeted against my grounded stack, but I saw it coming and flew them away. The cruise missile continued to follow the helicopters in flight, so I split them up into single units and scattered them. The missile was launched from Strike Fighters, who were also targeting the helicopters, and they caught and destroyed one of the individual helicopter units. After that, the cruise missile changed direction and flew to the city where the choppers had been based, instead.

      It was pretty weird. I don't know if the missile would have gone on to intercept the helicopter in flight had it not been destroyed by the Fighter jets first. (It puzzles me that planes fly faster than missiles, but that's another thing.)
    • WalterChang wrote:

      I've had an enemy cruise missile chase my helicopters in flight before. It was targeted against my grounded stack, but I saw it coming and flew them away. The cruise missile continued to follow the helicopters in flight, so I split them up into single units and scattered them. The missile was launched from Strike Fighters, who were also targeting the helicopters, and they caught and destroyed one of the individual helicopter units. After that, the cruise missile changed direction and flew to the city where the choppers had been based, instead.

      It was pretty weird. I don't know if the missile would have gone on to intercept the helicopter in flight had it not been destroyed by the Fighter jets first. (It puzzles me that planes fly faster than missiles, but that's another thing.)
      Well I don’t think subsonic Cruise missiles are designed to be super fast. That missile sounded like it was out for blood. Maybe this could be recreated to see if the CM will do its AA damage to the heli?
      Yee Haw
    • Considering the power of missile subs, it would be great to get an alert when a naval contact is found via sonar or radar for that matter.

      If you send out naval patrol planes or any plane with a radar, or set up subs and ships to picket areas of the ocean, players who are at a diplomatic state of peace can just sneak by and set up to attack you if you aren't watching those areas specifically.

      I would like an alert to decide if I should attack the contact or message players with inquiries or warnings.


      What is smoko? And, why should I leave someone alone while they are on it?
    • Im On Smoko wrote:

      Considering the power of missile subs, it would be great to get an alert when a naval contact is found via sonar or radar for that matter.

      If you send out naval patrol planes or any plane with a radar, or set up subs and ships to picket areas of the ocean, players who are at a diplomatic state of peace can just sneak by and set up to attack you if you aren't watching those areas specifically.

      I would like an alert to decide if I should attack the contact or message players with inquiries or warnings.
      I think it'd be good if the unit could somehow keep a log of all radar/sonar contacts they detect while stationary or on patrol. Then you could check back and see what's been in the area while you were offline or looking somewhere else.

      Call of War already does this to an extent - it doesn't have radar or sonar, but planes on patrol will log units they see while on patrol and show them as 'intelligence', like when you reveal armies with spies.
    • WalterChang wrote:

      Im On Smoko wrote:

      Considering the power of missile subs, it would be great to get an alert when a naval contact is found via sonar or radar for that matter.

      If you send out naval patrol planes or any plane with a radar, or set up subs and ships to picket areas of the ocean, players who are at a diplomatic state of peace can just sneak by and set up to attack you if you aren't watching those areas specifically.

      I would like an alert to decide if I should attack the contact or message players with inquiries or warnings.
      I think it'd be good if the unit could somehow keep a log of all radar/sonar contacts they detect while stationary or on patrol. Then you could check back and see what's been in the area while you were offline or looking somewhere else.
      Call of War already does this to an extent - it doesn't have radar or sonar, but planes on patrol will log units they see while on patrol and show them as 'intelligence', like when you reveal armies with spies.

      WalterChang wrote:

      Im On Smoko wrote:

      Considering the power of missile subs, it would be great to get an alert when a naval contact is found via sonar or radar for that matter.

      If you send out naval patrol planes or any plane with a radar, or set up subs and ships to picket areas of the ocean, players who are at a diplomatic state of peace can just sneak by and set up to attack you if you aren't watching those areas specifically.

      I would like an alert to decide if I should attack the contact or message players with inquiries or warnings.
      I think it'd be good if the unit could somehow keep a log of all radar/sonar contacts they detect while stationary or on patrol. Then you could check back and see what's been in the area while you were offline or looking somewhere else.
      Call of War already does this to an extent - it doesn't have radar or sonar, but planes on patrol will log units they see while on patrol and show them as 'intelligence', like when you reveal armies with spies.
      Hoping for this feature soon. It seems to be one of the most highly requested features, if not THE most requested feature.
      They could use call of war system, and when you click on “ghost” of unit it shows what time the ghost is from.
      Yee Haw