My first RP experience in CoN

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Tbh participating in Stuff organized by other users is usually pretty much hit or miss and often organization tends to be a mess; especially getting ppl to pick countries (and then actually join as the right country)
      also: favoritism is kinda to be expected when mods are the ones to decide who gets what country; nobody would want Radomdude0815 picking country X when their friend/someone they know is requesting it ... cuz y'know they're only human after all
      so yeah unless they're already really really established in terms of RPs it tends to be a pretty messy affair

-0- wrote:

You can’t measure someones capabilities if you don’t even give them the chance.
      tbh that sounds to me more like a mix of an arbitrary reason to refuse ppl + a way of stroking your own egos; not to mention how silly a "rating" is to determine who gets to pick his country... you're pretty much creating a vicious cycle cuz the "good" players get a higher chance of countries that they deem "good" or are comfortable with while the "bad" players get stuck with the leftovers

In that regard i'd pretty much recommend sticking to stuff organized by ppl who are somewhat established within the community (i think cptamerica was it that was somewhat renown for his RPs? but tbh im not thaaat much in touch with the RP scene).
      Another option would be to simply socialize more and thus bend the favoritism more in your favor ^^ if ppl know you they're more likely to listen to anything you say then when youre just the RandomDude0815

-0- wrote:

The Discord server had a channel that was specific for submitting suggestion about the gameplay, tech tree, etc. I submitted a #suggestions following the suggestions chat rules/format that they had created and never heard back about it...
      A player that seems to be known in the community submitted a suggestion also and got addressed like right away. I contacted the Main Admin of the server about this, and even after that my suggestion was never approved/denied/replied to.
      pretty much what i already said: If nobody knows you then the chance of them giving a single fuck about what youre suggesting is pretty low...unless the idea is really really interesting/appealing to a lot of ppl
      and lets be honest: just because you think its a great idea and ppl should give you feedback on it doesnt prevent other ppl from deeming it random bullshit not worth a single thought

-0- wrote:

After all the Country Applications mess referenced before, I was offered to join the game as Poland. I accepted the offer and started preparing the RP but some days later I check the server and find out that the same Moderator that offered me to take Poland had assigned that nation to someone else!
      Tell me, is this not a clear message of “I don't want you here” after the 3 points stated above?
      I contacted the main game admin again, he was cool during the conversation but managed to resolve nothing. Once again, am the new guy that doesn’t matter.
      I think i already said that earlier but I'll just say it again: who gets what country + them also actually picking the country are already insanely complicated tasks; simply cuz it requires whoever is running the game to A: keep track of who wants what country and B: devise some way to determine who actually gets what country ... and then also get them to actually pick their country (the chance that really everyone actually picks the country they're assigned to is almost nonexistant)

-0- wrote:

. Every time I logged into the RP server I find either drama, insults between players or non-CoN related stuff going on... If I wanted to talk about Taylor Swift or Hunger Games I would search a group about that.
      welcome to the cesspool that private discord severs can devolve into
      I am The Baseline for opinions

The post was edited 1 time, last by Teburu ().

• Hello, interesting feedback. I'm not the organizer of this Roleplay but i can give some insights with a outsider eye.

1. It's indeed a matter of Friendship and Seniority, in the meaning that "people that demonstrated their ability are a guarantee they will provide necessary activity, writing, or stability.

There is also this untold and pretty logical thing that admins are the captains and the ship and they do as they see fit, ultimately. They are not civil servants, they do not owe a place for anyone, and if they decide to give a good country to their little sister, it's their choice and privilege, as project managers.

I don't see what you mean by "this guy got his first option twice". The more you get socially integrated and recognised as a good roleplayer in a community, the more you have an easy life when it comes to picking your country.

I agree that you can't measure someone's ability before giving him a chance, which is EXACTLY why usually nobody gives a big or powerful country to a first-timer. When you do not know how a guy will behave or be active, you put him in a minor power, just to see.

If he is a great guy as he claims, the map will have the best Mozambique/Kenya/Peru/Greece/Ethiopia the world has known. He will immediatly be marked to be granted a good country at the next map.
      If he isn't as great as he claims, nobody will even remark that the Mozambique guy turned inactive or was removed for racial slurs. The flow of the game continues as if he never existed.

Basically, you will encounter that in all successful roleplays : we don't give good countries to people we don't know, and we don't "give a chance" for people to demonstrate us they can be a great USA : We've got hundreds of them, that claimed it, and i don't think more than 2 out of 100 were "legit". However, a bad USA can turn a whole project sour (especially if cold war).

It's not that hard to get a good rating in most Roleplays :

Cpt America's RP, for example, you begin Bronze-Tier (So you play minors) you can be Silver in one game (which opens you to Turkey, Algeria, Brazil, Indonesia, Pakistan, etc) , and Gold in two games (which opens to you France, Italy, etc). Of course, this implies that "you behave". In Rome, do as the romans.

2. This looks like mismanagement, or for elements we aren't told or don't know, the admins weren't sure if they wanted you in the map in the first place. I can't tell. But yeah, in every project, you'll have this kind of mishap. Again, they are community-organised, by players, so administrative inefficiency will happen.

3. Looks like mismanagement. It also seems you got ostracised. The more i read, the more i feel that the local community wanted you out. The reasons why they wanted you out is something i can't tell.

4. Looks like mismanagement, and also that indeed they didn't want you in their project, for X or Y reasons.

Conclusion : I can't assume why or how this went for you, and by all means i'm not defending you, but i would like to have a talk with the admin of this community, because generally speaking i would like to avoid us nurturing toxic players, that insult or such (refering to the screenshots).
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Teburu wrote:

pretty much what i already said: If nobody knows you then the chance of them giving a single fuck about what youre suggesting is pretty low...unless the idea is really really interesting/appealing to a lot of ppl
      and lets be honest: just because you think its a great idea and ppl should give you feedback on it doesnt prevent other ppl from deeming it random bullshit not worth a single thought
      I agree, my suggestion could have been useless or great, but in any of those cases I'd have expected a response at least. If they setup rules to submit a suggestion so it gets "reviewed", why is nobody "reviewing" them? Or just reviewing the ones submitted by their friends.

The moderator could have told me: Denied, its an stupid idea to add Destroyers to Mongolia's Tech Tree because... Mongolia doesn't have Naval Core Cities?!

An answer is the only thing I'd have expected from a Moderation that is asking for members to suggest improvements to the server.

Teburu wrote:

bh that sounds to me more like a mix of an arbitrary reason to refuse ppl + a way of stroking your own egos; not to mention how silly a "rating" is to determine who gets to pick his country... you're pretty much creating a vicious cycle cuz the "good" players get a higher chance of countries that they deem "good" or are comfortable with while the "bad" players get stuck with the leftovers
      That's exactly how I felt, like they just want to give the "leftovers". If they want a private server for them to play and talk in private, why do they send a daily message to the CoN public Discord Server asking for people to join? Is like inviting someone to eat, but just giving them soup and you enjoying a full meal instead.

Teburu wrote:

Another option would be to simply socialize more and thus bend the favoritism more in your favor if ppl know you they're more likely to listen to anything you say then when youre just the RandomDude0815
      I'll take that advise in a personal way, am kinda an introvert in rl and it's still difficult for me to decide to post or comment something :)
    • Opulon wrote:

There is also this untold and pretty logical thing that admins are the captains and the ship and they do as they see fit, ultimately. They are not civil servants, they do not owe a place for anyone, and if they decide to give a good country to their little sister, it's their choice and privilege, as project managers.
      You're right, if I invite someone to my house I'd expect them to follow my house' rules and respect my way of living, but I wouldn't treat them in a bad way just because "its my house".

I wasn't expecting a priviledged treatment nor less, I was just expecting a fair treatment for all new and known players.

Opulon wrote:

I don't see what you mean by "this guy got his first option twice". The more you get socially integrated and recognised as a good roleplayer in a community, the more you have an easy life when it comes to picking your country.
      I meant that Guy#1 got his first option during his 1st and 2nd Country Applications, while me (Guy#80) was not assigned with any of the countries I applied for and I wasn't expecting to get USA :D Just a tier C Serbia or Vietnam!

I disagree when you mention the more socially recognised I'll have an easy life... for me is a matter of principles, like when my mother used to buy the same icecream for my brother and me even when he had better grades.

Opulon wrote:

3. Looks like mismanagement. It also seems you got ostracised. The more i read, the more i feel that the local community wanted you out. The reasons why they wanted you out is something i can't tell.
      I would like to have the answer to that question, but just as nobody replied to my suggestion no one sent me a message saying "Bro, you went to far with that comment" or "We don't allow that kind of behaviour in here"

As I mentioned to Teburu, the only reason I can imagine is that I wasn't talkative enough for them... my few interactions where my 2 applications and my suggestion, and ofc the messages I sent to the admin to try to solve this "missunderstanding".

---

I really felt that they didn't want new players, they send a daily message to the CoN public Discord asking for new players to join, but they never mention that you'll have to just comply to the "captain of the ship" desires or get out.

If I had known that the captain was like that, I'd have stayed the hell out and avoided not only the bad experience but the time invested on thinking about the RP game coming ;( :thumbdown:

Maybe the admin is in love with the Moderator so my messages trying to solve the issue were just offensive for him, god knows ?(

The post was edited 1 time, last by -0-: Freaking orthography ().