Tipps on Anti-ICBM?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Tipps on Anti-ICBM?

Hello.

Iam playing against wahles in my current game and am responsible for protecting our cities from their inevitable ICBM first-strike.

What would it take to stop a max levelled ICBM? I have seen that it has 40 HP, which suggests i need 3 Theatre Defense Systems and then two SAMs, which seems a bit excessive. can anyone more experienced give me advice on the most efficient anti-missile defense?
    • Urabon wrote:

Hello.

Iam playing against wahles in my current game and am responsible for protecting our cities from their inevitable ICBM first-strike.

What would it take to stop a max levelled ICBM? I have seen that it has 40 HP, which suggests i need 3 Theatre Defense Systems and then two SAMs, which seems a bit excessive. can anyone more experienced give me advice on the most efficient anti-missile defense?
      So it's important to note the area of coverage of each TDS. When you get those puppies upgraded to 2nd gen, they have a coverage of 125. I'm buidling them now for a map where I am playing Cambodia. One TDS covers all 5 of my core cities. Granted, said coverage is a bit thin along the edge, but still, it's covered. So if you put 1 in each city, you may well end up with 3 or 4 TDS units hitting any ICBM launched at them. And if your cities are more spread out (not super spread out like Russia/US/China), then you can usually place a TDS in between the cities so that one unit will cover 2-3 cities, on top of the unit in the city. Between that and some SAMs sprinkled in, I doubt any nuke would ever get through.
    • ICBMs have a large splash damage, so small countris like Morroc or Israeli might theoretically need 2-3 systems in reality its more like 5-10.

This is because there are two type of aerial defense, there is "point defense" which no matter the number or times is always counted and you have "trigger defense" that has a 10min cooldown and hits everything in its AOE.

How this works is say i have a carrier, and a carrier has 3 defense against missiles, no matter if the enemy shoots 1 or 100 cruises missile at it, not a single cruise missile will damage it because a lvl 1 cruise missile has 3 hp. If we instead upgrade cruise missiles to have 4 hp, then we start to see the effect of trigger defense, this time the first missile will be shotdown and everything within the AA range of the carrier will take trigger damage of 3, so now your missile has 1 hp, as the 1hp missile hits the carrier the point defense comes into play and does zero damage. BUT! if you shoot a second missile that is outside of the AOE of the AA when it triggers then you have a 10min cooldown for your second missile to hits the carrier and it will deal 25% damage because of the point defense it will only have 1hp remaning after the point defense is calculated.

So ICBM's work in the same respect, where you can defend against a single nuclear strike with just 2 defense systems using the "trigger" defense ypu ideally want enough "point defense" in every city to drastically reduce the damage while having some systems located outside the city for that "trigger" defense.

One more thing id like to add is because ICBM's have huge splash damage, many high skill players like myself will not target your cities to kill the units defending it, instead i will attack the tile next to it and destroy your units that way. This is to avoid the point defense of the city, so you might have threatre defense systems in your city, but if i fire 2 ICBMS at a tile within splash range, the first missile will be defeated by the AA trigger but the second will deal full damage in a huge AOE which will wipe out your AA system and a 3rd strike would then annilate your buildings and spread nuclear contaminants that required to be cleaned up.

Mostly, try to am for anti ballastic AA defense, as ICBMS are extremely expensive is highly unlikely you will see more then 1 at a time.
      Where ballastics missile can waste a conventional warhead and send a nuclear warhead in second missile.

The way this works means no matter someones defense, with enough ICBMS you will eventually procress, there is no perfect defense there is always a way to break through. Well unless your defending a huge tile like in Russia or China and the splash damage wouldn't reach.

The post was edited 1 time, last by crazystoner ().