Colonel Waffle Challenge Response

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Colonel Waffle Challenge Response

OK, So WannabeColonelWaffleSauces has challenged me to come up with a new unit. Apparently he thinks my creativity is only negatively inspired. So here, are not only one, but TWO new unit ideas:

1.) PBU - The Propaganda Broadcasting Unit - Basically built on the mobile radar framework from a coding aspect, this unit's "radar" wouldn't show any units, but would instead, saturate the area within with propaganda. Inside this radius, morale would be raised (while inside coverage, reverting to normal when no longer in range) in all friendly territory, cities and provinces of yours and your coalition allies, and lowered in your enemies, doing nothing to neutrals.

Tier 1 range 200 Morale change +/- 5% cumulative with each unit
      Tier 2 range 275 Morale change +/- 8% cumulative with each unit
      Tier 3 range 350 Morale change +/- 12% cumulative with each unit

each tier would mimic the hp and attack/defense of the Mobile Radar since it is the same platform with different equipment. I'm not going to work out the exact cost of this pipe dream, but roughly twice that of Mobile Radar

2.) Satellite - Would show an image similar to AWACS, revealing planes, surface ships and hard targets only, but would show unknown type and not a radar blip. Does not reveal stealth or submarines.

Tier 1 once set would drift in a straight line (simplified to fit the game) across the map at a speed of 7 and in order to reset, would have to complete a complete orbit, if you don't get new orbit orders in before the launch longitude, tough, wait until next orbit. Image Range 150 hp 10

Tier 2 would be able to be set in a geosynchronous position over any map point and have same movement speed between points. Range 200 hp 15

Tier 3 Armed Satellite, In addition to geosynch, would have capability to fire cruise missiles, up to 3 Range 250 hp 15

Satellites would be targetable only by missiles, all 3 types if possible and you really wanted to waste an ICBM on a 15 hp target. Cost would need to be high and require multiple buildings even for tier 1, and should be heavily resource intensive similar to stealth bombers.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Teburu wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

2.) Satellite - Would show an image similar to AWACS, revealing planes, surface ships and hard targets only, but would show unknown type and not a radar blip. Does not reveal stealth or submarines.
      I dont think that one counts; seeing how it's one of these things ppl suggest every now and then
      Meh, one of them was me, but in any case, I fleshed it out.
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

• The 'rader' of the PBU would be quite confusing I suspect, it is already now sometimes hard to differentiate between your radars, awacs and other untis coverage.

Aditionally it would be far to strong, even more in small countries. Why build bunker, if you could just put some of those in your little Israel? It would likely need diminishing return on its effectivity. Below 50% full strength and at 90% pretty none.
    • Kalrakh wrote:

The 'rader' of the PBU would be quite confusing I suspect, it is already now sometimes hard to differentiate between your radars, awacs and other untis coverage.

Aditionally it would be far to strong, even more in small countries. Why build bunker, if you could just put some of those in your little Israel? It would likely need diminishing return on its effectivity. Below 50% full strength and at 90% pretty none.
      Wouldn't that kinda offset the disadvantage of having a small country?
      And as far as differentiating it, make it's sweep pink or some other color.
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• Dealer of Death wrote:

OK, So WannabeColonelWaffleSauces has challenged me to come up with a new unit. Apparently he thinks my creativity is only negatively inspired. So here, are not only one, but TWO new unit ideas:

1.) PBU - The Propaganda Broadcasting Unit - Basically built on the mobile radar framework from a coding aspect, this unit's "radar" wouldn't show any units, but would instead, saturate the area within with propaganda. Inside this radius, morale would be raised (while inside coverage, reverting to normal when no longer in range) in all friendly territory, cities and provinces of yours and your coalition allies, and lowered in your enemies, doing nothing to neutrals.

each tier would mimic the hp and attack/defense of the Mobile Radar since it is the same platform with different equipment. I'm not going to work out the exact cost of this pipe dream, but roughly twice that of Mobile Radar

Tier 1 once set would drift in a straight line (simplified to fit the game) across the map at a speed of 7 and in order to reset, would have to complete a complete orbit, if you don't get new orbit orders in before the launch longitude, tough, wait until next orbit. Image Range 150 hp 10

Tier 2 would be able to be set in a geosynchronous position over any map point and have same movement speed between points. Range 200 hp 15

Tier 3 Armed Satellite, In addition to geosynch, would have capability to fire cruise missiles, up to 3 Range 250 hp 15

Satellites would be targetable only by missiles, all 3 types if possible and you really wanted to waste an ICBM on a 15 hp target. Cost would need to be high and require multiple buildings even for tier 1, and should be heavily resource intensive similar to stealth bombers.
      |My opinions|

(1)
      Don’t know if I like the idea of this unit specifically, but the concept is interesting. Maybe I am wrong but it could have more value as a “propaganda building” instead of a unit.
      A problem I see with it is potential for some abuse. There is concern especially with smaller countries that this might be too powerful. For example:
      Let’s say I’m Vietnam, and I want Thailand dead. I have maxed out PBUs
      I could, theoretically, build 10 of these units
      I set them on the border, and patrol some ASF/ surround with infantry for added protection.
      When the time comes, I declare war. That mans morale just shit itself. Only a few days have passed and his country is on fire, protests everywhere because of my rows of trucks on their border. I defeat them without a single battle. Now fighting without fighting Sun Tzu style is really cool but I don’t know how I would feel about this happening.
      I’m not too sure how I feel about the unit

(2)
      I like the entire concept
      I would have the execution different though

Only no lifes would be able to check the moment a satellite passed over a specific province. Here’s my idea of a satellite
      3 different types: Surveillance Satellite, Orbital Strike Satellite, and Multiple Kill Vehicle
      Researched satellite
      Mobilize satellite
      When the satellite is mobilized, it launches into space and creates a newspaper article commemorating my launch
      You set the satellite to “patrol” with a radius of 50. What does this do? The satellite follows a straight path across the globe like you said, and when it passes over the patrol circle, it takes a “snapshot” of what it sees which goes into your espionage reports. This way you can let it do it’s thing and get the images in your mail

Orbital Strike Satellite:
      Should be it’s own thing. Launches ballistic missiles instead of CM, since it’s more appropriate and CM can’t really be launched from space

Big problem with this one is that you didn’t have a counter to the satellites aside from waste warheads

I would have 4 units with satellite damage
      ASF (with Anti-satellite missile upgrade)
      TDS
      Frigate
      and a MKV
      You can make a MKV patrol anywhere and if a enemy satellite passes it the MKV will kill it
      Yee Haw
    • Colonel Waffles wrote:

|My opinions|
      (1)
      Don’t know if I like the idea of this unit specifically, but the concept is interesting. Maybe I am wrong but it could have more value as a “propaganda building” instead of a unit.
      A problem I see with it is potential for some abuse. There is concern especially with smaller countries that this might be too powerful. For example:
      Let’s say I’m Vietnam, and I want Thailand dead. I have maxed out PBUs
      I could, theoretically, build 10 of these units
      I set them on the border, and patrol some ASF/ surround with infantry for added protection.
      When the time comes, I declare war. That mans morale just shit itself. Only a few days have passed and his country is on fire, protests everywhere because of my rows of trucks on their border. I defeat them without a single battle. Now fighting without fighting Sun Tzu style is really cool but I don’t know how I would feel about this happening.
      I’m not too sure how I feel about the unit
      Well, you could make it so competing fields cancelled each other in proportion to strength of tier, so, ... if Thailand had 4 of it's own even tier 1 PBUs it would cut out 20% of the effect. But you raise a good point, there would need to be either a low cap on the # of unites like Elite units, or the % effect scaled back, but C'mon, I came up with the idea in 10 minutes.
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• Colonel Waffles wrote:

|My opinions|

(2)

Only no lifes would be able to check the moment a satellite passed over a specific province. Here’s my idea of a satellite
      3 different types: Surveillance Satellite, Orbital Strike Satellite, and Multiple Kill Vehicle
      Researched satellite
      Mobilize satellite
      When the satellite is mobilized, it launches into space and creates a newspaper article commemorating my launch
      You set the satellite to “patrol” with a radius of 50. What does this do? The satellite follows a straight path across the globe like you said, and when it passes over the patrol circle, it takes a “snapshot” of what it sees which goes into your espionage reports. This way you can let it do it’s thing and get the images in your mail

Should be it’s own thing. Launches ballistic missiles instead of CM, since it’s more appropriate and CM can’t really be launched from space

Big problem with this one is that you didn’t have a counter to the satellites aside from waste warheads

TDS
      Frigate
      and a MKV
      You can make a MKV patrol anywhere and if a enemy satellite passes it the MKV will kill it
      Well, I think that would change the game way more than my version, almost unrecognizably so. And I realize your CM point, but just because they would function as CMs doesn't mean they would be the same thing, and BM armed geosynch satellites would definitely turn the world into a much more M.A.D. world.
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• Dealer of Death wrote:

Colonel Waffles wrote:

|My opinions|

(2)

Researched satellite
      Mobilize satellite

TDS
      Frigate
      and a MKV
      Well, I think that would change the game way more than my version, almost unrecognizably so. And I realize your CM point, but just because they would function as CMs doesn't mean they would be the same thing, and BM armed geosynch satellites would definitely turn the world into a much more M.A.D. world.
      BM armed satellites wouldn’t be too bad. We already have BM armed heavy bombers, and those can strike basically anywhere

Wouldn’t hurt to have a new form of warfare. They could call the update “New Frontier”.
      Satellites and space warfare is very important in modern times
      Yee Haw
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

Satellites would be targetable only by missiles, all 3 types if possible and you really wanted to waste an ICBM on a 15 hp target. Cost would need to be high and require multiple buildings even for tier 1, and should be heavily resource intensive similar to bombers.
      I have always wondered about satellites. It is interesting.
      "Retreat hell! We're not retreating ..we're just advancing in a different direction." General Oliver Smith USMC