Helicopterization of strike fighter

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Helicopterization of strike fighter

Thought about this for a while. These planes probably fine in current state, but I wonder if this would be a better execution of them?

What do I mean by the title? Well, helicopters (of the ground attack role) are split into 2 different units: The Gunship (vs soft) and the Attack (vs Hard). Their roles are specific. The Strike Fighter, on the other hand, does both roles by itself. What if we “helicopterized” the strike fighter into 2 units; the Strike Fighter (vs Hard) and the Attack Jet (vs Soft). It would be quite obvious what the attack jets would be (A-10, Su-25, Q-5 etc). Would a change like this improve the meta, worsen the meta or not really change it?
      One one hand, more research for the ground attack role, which will be an inconvenience. It would also start to become cluttered (4 different units for ground attack!)
      On the other hand, perhaps it would be a nice change to this. Getting both means EZ damage distribution, and you can adjust based on the enemy. I use my Attack helicopters to clear SAMs and such then move in with my Attack jets to wipe the infantry, or I clear the enemy MAA and tanks with my Strike fighter and move in with my gunships.

Thoughts?
      Yee Haw
    • Colonel Waffles wrote:

Thoughts?
      It seems you are very unhappy with the current game of CoN and are desperate to change it in every way you can possibly think up, even if it means funsucking all the units down into checker tokens or adding yet another line of units that will further divide the insanely scarce resources, and eat them all up in order to get what we already had with the great product provided by Dorado. Why do you hate fun? Do you go into convulsions and foam at the mouth any time you think CoN players might be having fun? Why do you feel compelled to break everything?
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Strike Fighters are strong aginst Hard and Soft but they don't fly NOE, therefore they are engaged by ANY anti-air unit. The Helicopter way will make you spend more, in research and unit production, if you want a round-effective stack (Good against Hard and Soft targets) but they have the NOE blessing.

I think this mechanisim is well balanced, making us think of pros and cons of the Fighet/Helicopter paths in our strategy. Dividing Fighters into Hard/Soft effectiveness will just make Helis the standard air unit as there's no real advantage of choosing the Fighet path besides range, in my opinion.

CoW doesn't have NOE, I think that's why we have fighters divided in Attack and Tactical Bombers.
    • -0- wrote:

Strike Fighters are strong aginst Hard and Soft but they don't fly NOE, therefore they are engaged by ANY anti-air unit. The Helicopter way will make you spend more, in research and unit production, if you want a round-effective stack (Good against Hard and Soft targets) but they have the NOE blessing.

I think this mechanisim is well balanced, making us think of pros and cons of the Fighet/Helicopter paths in our strategy. Dividing Fighters into Hard/Soft effectiveness will just make Helis the standard air unit as there's no real advantage of choosing the Fighet path besides range, in my opinion.

CoW doesn't have NOE, I think that's why we have fighters divided in Attack and Tactical Bombers.
      This is a good point
      Yee Haw
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

Colonel Waffles wrote:

Thoughts?
      It seems you are very unhappy with the current game of CoN and are desperate to change it in every way you can possibly think up, even if it means funsucking all the units down into checker tokens or adding yet another line of units that will further divide the insanely scarce resources, and eat them all up in order to get what we already had with the great product provided by Dorado. Why do you hate fun? Do you go into convulsions and foam at the mouth any time you think CoN players might be having fun? Why do you feel compelled to break everything?
      Maybe I posted this in the wrong section
      I was not suggesting that the current model was broken, or that it needed to be changed

This was more of a “What if we did this” thread
      I only found at the mouth any time I think of people abusing MRL

Edit: Since you seem bothered by my touching units perhaps you would feel better if I posted a suggestion that can only be positive?
      Yee Haw
    • Colonel Waffles wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

Colonel Waffles wrote:

Thoughts?
      Maybe I posted this in the wrong sectionI was not suggesting that the current model was broken, or that it needed to be changed

Edit: Since you seem bothered by my touching units perhaps you would feel better if I posted a suggestion that can only be positive?
      LOL! Like you could DO that!
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

Colonel Waffles wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

Colonel Waffles wrote:

Thoughts?
      Maybe I posted this in the wrong sectionI was not suggesting that the current model was broken, or that it needed to be changed

LOL! Like you could DO that!
      Bet
      Yee Haw
    • Colonel Waffles wrote:

Thought about this for a while. These planes probably fine in current state, but I wonder if this would be a better execution of them?

What do I mean by the title? Well, helicopters (of the ground attack role) are split into 2 different units: The Gunship (vs soft) and the Attack (vs Hard). Their roles are specific. The Strike Fighter, on the other hand, does both roles by itself. What if we “helicopterized” the strike fighter into 2 units; the Strike Fighter (vs Hard) and the Attack Jet (vs Soft). It would be quite obvious what the attack jets would be (A-10, Su-25, Q-5 etc). Would a change like this improve the meta, worsen the meta or not really change it?
      One one hand, more research for the ground attack role, which will be an inconvenience. It would also start to become cluttered (4 different units for ground attack!)
      On the other hand, perhaps it would be a nice change to this. Getting both means EZ damage distribution, and you can adjust based on the enemy. I use my Attack helicopters to clear SAMs and such then move in with my Attack jets to wipe the infantry, or I clear the enemy MAA and tanks with my Strike fighter and move in with my gunships.

Thoughts?

I'm not against the idea of tinkering with the balance between helicopters and Strike Fighters, but I don't think ruining Strike Fighters is the right way to do it.

If anything, I'd rather your suggestion was done the other way around, Strike Fighter-izing the helicopter line by abolishing the Gunship and giving Attack Helis a boost to its infantry attack values.

Then you'd have a single ground-attack helicopter that was more powerful than the SF in each single attack, but was balanced by being shorter range and slower (less damage/time because it takes them much longer to get to target, back to base, refuel, and back to target again). Having two distinct types is an unnecessary faff in my opinion.
    • WalterChang wrote:

If anything, I'd rather your suggestion was done the other way around, Strike Fighter-izing the helicopter line by abolishing the Gunship and giving Attack Helis a boost to its infantry attack values.

Then you'd have a single ground-attack helicopter that was more powerful than the SF in each single attack, but was balanced by being shorter range and slower (less damage/time because it takes them much longer to get to target, back to base, refuel, and back to target again). Having two distinct types is an unnecessary faff in my opinion.
      Helis short range and speed is not necessarily a disadvantage, I don't think is wise relying on a single airport when using large airforce :D If am invesitng on airfoce I will mandatory build 2 or 3 airbases near frontline to avoid misiles, artillery, SpecOps, sabotage...

If Helis were SFighterized I really think there's no reason to build SF anymore, why would I build an Air Unit that is vulnerable to all Anti-Air units if I can build one that is vunerable to only a few of them? I would only be increasing the chance of another player countering my airforce