Artillery attacks

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Artillery attacks

I'm seeing some odd behaviour from my artillery.

If my stack is strong enough to eliminate an enemy unit or stack in its first hit, I seem to be able to use that same artillery stack again well within the one-hour cooldown to shoot another unit - and if I destroy the second one in one hit, I can shoot a third unit immediately after, etc.

Is it supposed to work like that? I've just wiped out 2 infantry and a CRV that were all in separate provinces, using just 5 artillery in one stack, in the space of about 15 minutes! It seems to reset the timer every time a unit is destroyed.

The post was edited 2 times, last by WalterChang ().

• Teburu wrote:

thats a thing for pretty much every unit afaik tho? (except aircraft ofc cuz they have to rtb)
      Probably. Seems OP to me, but maybe that's just because I'm not used to it yet. In Call of War's system, units can only use their attack damage once per hour, no matter what. (they can use defence as many times as they need.)

Seeing how the AI seems to like spreading units out across its territory, it certainly makes cutting through inactive players a lot quicker that I expected, anyway!

Kalrakh wrote:

It prevents people of trying Zerg strategies, sending dozens of 1 unit stacks to conquer territory.
      I don't see what's wrong with that, personally.
      But yeah - I guess it stops you from using 1 cheap cannon-fodder unit to soak up an an hour's worth of damage from a powerful enemy stack so that your main force can move in a few minutes later and get an uncontested strike.

The post was edited 2 times, last by WalterChang ().

• WalterChang wrote:

Teburu wrote:

thats a thing for pretty much every unit afaik tho? (except aircraft ofc cuz they have to rtb)
      Probably. Seems OP to me, but maybe that's just because I'm not used to it yet. In Call of War's system, units can only use their attack damage once per hour, no matter what. (they can use defence as many times as they need.)
      Seeing how the AI seems to like spreading units out across its territory, it certainly makes cutting through inactive players a lot quicker that I expected, anyway!

Kalrakh wrote:

It prevents people of trying Zerg strategies, sending dozens of 1 unit stacks to conquer territory.
      I don't see what's wrong with that, personally. But OK.
      huh i could've sworn that even call of war had tickresets
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Kalrakh wrote:

As well as I remember, that feature already existed in Supremacy 1914, the predecessor of both these games: CoW and CON
      I'm really not sure about that, either. I haven't played S1914 for a VERY long time, but I can definitely remember infantry being sent into the sea to absorb hits from enemy battleships so that your own wouldn't take damage. I also remember it was a thing to split your stacks into single units just before the enemy tick was due, so that they'd only hit one of yours.

But then again, S1914 has surely been updated many, many times since then.
    • Kalrakh wrote:

Supremacy 1914 got a very screwed up combat system, the last time I played.
      Single unit stacks had a high chance of 'dodging' attacks an therefore not getting killed in an attack, even in cases of 10 times the overwhelming attack power.
      That is how it can work there but not here, combat in CON is more reliable and less luck based.
      As long as you don't delude yourself into thinking you know exactly how much damage will be dealt in an attack.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

Kalrakh wrote:

Single unit stacks had a high chance of 'dodging' attacks an therefore not getting killed in an attack, even in cases of 10 times the overwhelming attack power.
      That is how it can work there but not here, combat in CON is more reliable and less luck based.
      As long as you don't delude yourself into thinking you know exactly how much damage will be dealt in an attack.
      i mean
      cow was literally hit or miss :D
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Teburu wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

Kalrakh wrote:

i meancow was literally hit or miss :D
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

Kalrakh wrote:

Of course not, but you can make pretty good estimates, and if you killed something barely not, you know you will get a free shot next time.
    • WalterChang wrote:

Kalrakh wrote:

I don't see what's wrong with that, personally.But yeah - I guess it stops you from using 1 cheap cannon-fodder unit to soak up an an hour's worth of damage from a powerful enemy stack so that your main force can move in a few minutes later and get an uncontested strike.
      There is nothing wrong with that, they just don't want that you have a 10 MRL stack and shoot at a radar contact only to deal 45 to 70 damage against a 15hp NG kill it but have to wait for an whole hour to shoot again. If this mechanic wouldn't exist, you would have to seperate the stack into single units and shoot them one by one to prevent overkill when shooting at not identified radar contacts.
      a.k.a. jem and and eres